PDA

View Full Version : Help! XB9SX died on maiden voyage home...

B6S4
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Well, I just picked up an '06 Buell XB9SX in hero blue. On the way home, I was riding when the guages turned off as if I took the key out, meanwhile the engine was still running. Shortly after, the engine sputtered to a halt. I went to try to start the bike and the battery was flat. I just got the bike towed back to my house and now the trouble shooting begins. I am about to head out to have the battery checked, but wanted to see if there were any common electrical issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Midnight82
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Voltage Regulater

dave_xb12r
06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
If the battery died WHILE riding, you may have a stator issue. [sad]

XBear9S
06-17-2009, 12:22 AM
First check your battery connections.
Make sure they're clean of corrosion and tight.
If the battery tests good, give it another go.
You can get 3 or 4 days out of a good, fully charged battery.
Keep the trips short for the first few days lest you be stranded.

Dead again?
May be the voltage regulator and/or the stator.

If stator's gone bad, check the #77 connector (all pre-'08 XB's) to the voltage regulator for carbon deposits, corrosion and/or signs of melting. If you find issues, change the #77 connector AND the stator.

Stator good?
Check the voltage regulator.

If it tests bad, it may NOT be. Voltage regulator may be just fine. Check the #77 connector for carbon deposits, corrosion and/or signs of melting. If ya find issues, change the #77 connector and then test the VR again.

What's a #77 connector??
Research/homework;

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/142838/446915.html#POST1398917

If this all fails you, you may have a short somewhere else in your system. Inspect the wiring harness for chafing and fix anything you may find that might be grounding and/or arcing.

Special K!
Central Texas Hill Country Hellbuellies
"I'm a Hellbuelly! What the hell are you?"

"I'm not a cruel man. I just ask you to get the hell outta my way, so I that can finish my wheelie! Is that clear?!"

--Albert RosenBuelly
--"Twin Peaks"

Midnight82
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd pt money on it that it's a voltage regulator. The exact same thing happened to me.

I replaced the VR and battery and bigity bam, back in business.

Signed,
Eric - Midnight

XBear9S
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey Midnight,

What year is your bike?
When did you replace the VR?

Thanks,

Special K!

"If the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them."

--Anonymous HellBuelly

Midnight82
06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
2004 - Replaced it a month ago

Midnight - "Momma said you can tell a lot about a man by his shoes"

XBear9S
06-17-2009, 12:34 AM
The new VR's come with an updated #77 connector.
But it has to be installed w/the new VR.
Anything pre-'08 is subject to fail.
You should inspect that they did the upgrade.
If they just tossed it (as they did to me),
it will only be a matter of time b4 you have to shell out for another.

The link I provided will give you details on what to look for.
I don't trust them mechanics.
But then maybe you did the work yourself...
One shouldn't assume...

Special K!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting 'GERONIMO!'"

--Anonymous HellBuelly

Midnight82
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Good Call Bear,
I'll take a look at it.

XBear9S
06-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Here's my sorted story...

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Parts-Guy-Questions-and-Answers/Voltage-Regulator-Connector-Pre-08-XBs

I'd do anything to save another the hell and expense...
Good luck to both of you,

Special K!

"PhotoBuellism, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution."

--Ans2el Adams2

B6S4
06-17-2009, 03:12 AM
So I did some poking around tonight, I checked the stator output following the service manual. The stator puts out the proper ~30V on each phase. I assume this means the stator is good. The connector seemed nice and clean, I used some electric contact cleaner to make sure. Once everything was hooked back up, I started the bike with a known good battery and checked the voltage, as I revd the bike up, the voltage began to fall. I can only assume this means the regulator is bad.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

B6S4
06-17-2009, 03:18 AM
I just ran out to check the 77 connector as I appeared to have looked at a different connector. Based on the link provided above, it looks like I already have the updated 77 plug. Is there any other things to look for before I order a regulator? Any suggestions as to where I can order one from?

dave_xb12r
06-17-2009, 03:24 AM
ASB sells them for $81 (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/17307.html)