PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Position Sensor Reset $60???

anrusso
06-27-2007, 05:23 AM
So here is something I as a newbie need to know. Just got my 04 xb12cg with only 1,500 on it. First street bike I ever got and I don't think I could have picked a better bike. Growing up riding dirt bikes, I was accustomed to pocking around my bike figuring out how to work on it and fix it. While installing tank bag straps, I couldn't resist investigating the strange foam and wire system I saw where I though an air box should be. After loosing performance I found out that this TPS thing needs to be reset every time its moved. And doing so requires some serious equipment. so...
1) Is it really that sensitive or was something else (maybe bad gas) causing all these problems?

2)This mean I can't even change the air filter on my own without bringing it to a dealer?

3) Does installing the race ECM or an exhaust need this to be recalibrated?

4)How expensive/difficult is it to get this equipment I have seen for sale so that I can do this myself?

Thanks for the help..

BuellPartsGuy
06-27-2007, 09:13 AM
1 - It can be. Technically any adjustment or maintenence at all it should be reset.

2 - Technically yes, realistically, no. Just use your best judgement. If it starts acting funny after a mod or change, reset it.

3 - Oh yeah, it needs a re-flash and a reset. Re-flash programs the new ecm to the bike.

4 - The real deal Buell stuff is near impossible to get unless you are a dealer or big independant shop. I havent played around with TFI boxes enough yet to know, but I have heard you can do quite a bit with those yourself without having to take it in.

anrusso
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
thanks parts guy

slydwazer
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
The TPS is most of your "tune up". The ECU has to know exactly where the throtlle is for it to send out the proper commands. You can do it yourself as often as you like if you buy the VDSTS software. You can purchase the standard version for $195 for a single application. It's not that sensitive, but you cannot reset it too many times. Check out VDSTS at technoresearch dot com.

v12tiger
06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
get direct link from technoresearch

djbillysh2
04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
i just instaleed new ecm from harley,it wont start,do i have to take it there to reprogram my new ecm

nativeXb12Rbuell
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
if you bought a NEW ECM from the dealer it should not need to be reprogramed/reflashed, check the service manual in the above link for the troubleshooting and flow chart to help you get to where the problem may be at ... what exactly happened before and after you installed the ecm,
and why did you get &/or need a NEW ECM.

Reiver
04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
just had my TPS reset at the local dealer for $45.00 only took 1/2 hour. I put a EBR ecm,Drummer and K&N on the wifes XB9R. It runs and sounds like a new one.

bobaganoosh
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
hopefully u guys noticed that this post is from 2007