PDA

View Full Version : Not responsible enough

dantroop
06-05-2019, 11:34 PM
I have been musing over EBR 1190’s as of late. Seems every time I jump on my bike I think,” how different would riding this section of road or through those curves be on an 1190. Then it dawned on me as I hit a buck and a quarter merging onto the freeway. “I’m not responsible enough for that bike. I’m doing a buck and a quarter on my 152 hp, 780 lb tourer. In that same stretch of road, I’d probably hit a buck fidy on an 1190! I’d be in jail, probably.”

Then it occurred to me. No “responsible” person buys a 185 hp motorcycle to ride on the street! (Cept maybe the fine gents on buellxb.com.) I feel vindicated and realize that not being responsible enough makes me a perfect candidate for an 1190! :applause:

Now, sx or rx. That is the question.

Lusiphur
06-06-2019, 12:57 AM
HAHAHAHA

Maybe the rest of the world is insane, and you are the person who needs to bring them sanity on an EBR

Tough call on the SX or RX. They are both SexyAF.
Maybe the SX, due to the lack of fairing and windscreen would force you to ride slower on the highway??

njloco
06-06-2019, 01:07 AM
No, not really, I can tell you, lack of a wind screen does not directly effect MPH well, at least not in my case.

Lusiphur
06-06-2019, 01:14 AM
No
it just forces you to change your riding position.

Before I rebought my XB12, I had an FZ-07. If I rode at the stock position, I felt like I had to hold on for my life once I broke 65mph, or had to crouch down hard.
I was going to change out the handlebars to make the position more aggressive, but then decided I needed another buell.
Was about to buy a CityX, but then the guy I sold my bike to, decided he wanted a water cooled Buell, so I got lucky and was able to buy my original buell back

Silverrider
06-06-2019, 01:36 AM
Hope this helps you get a SX

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48010718056_2af063bdc7_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2g9xtNY)IMG_0594 (https://flic.kr/p/2g9xtNY) by Jack Joseph (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156119726@N06/), on Flickr

The Bob
06-06-2019, 02:19 AM
Naw. I lived in Germany in the '80s. I had a V65 Sabre. Only 121 hp but most of the German bikes were voluntarily limited to 100 hp. So going down the Autobahn at 150 mph (240 kph) I could pass almost any motorcycle I encountered. The Sabre had a big fairing and windshield. Those guys tucked down in the bubble on their GXR would almost crap when I went by.

BTW, 160 mph really eats rear tires.

dantroop
06-06-2019, 03:07 AM
That's one sweet ride SR! I've been checking the EBR picture thread. You're black rendition!! WOW!

Silverrider
06-06-2019, 03:50 AM
That's one sweet ride SR! I've been checking the EBR picture thread. You're black rendition!! WOW!

thx man , they are fun rides !

Cooter
06-06-2019, 03:54 AM
If you are looking for sensibility and reason here, thats your first mistake.:black_eyed: DO IT! :eagerness: Hahaha.

The EBR isn't a bike to replace the Lightning, they are just so vastly different from each other and built for totally different purposes. I have been lucky enough to be able to have ridden hard most every new fast bike of the last 10 years and I voted with my dollars to get the EBR, and I have never regretted it:angel:

rb70383
06-06-2019, 09:14 AM
The EBR is easy to ride. I keep mine under 6000. Haven't even hit triple digits yet...
The XB is completely different. Actually after having the EBR, I enjoy the XB even more. I agree, they are not replacements for each other, rather complements.
The guys are right, you will laugh, cry, and poop yourself at the same time.
My secret to riding sane...

Silverrider
06-06-2019, 01:28 PM
The EBR is easy to ride. I keep mine under 6000. Haven't even hit triple digits yet...
The XB is completely different. Actually after having the EBR, I enjoy the XB even more. I agree, they are not replacements for each other, rather complements.
The guys are right, you will laugh, cry, and poop yourself at the same time.
My secret to riding sane...

Lusiphur
06-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Rb.

Just curious, why does the EBR make you enjoy the XB more?

Silverrider
06-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Cuz you can give it full throttle without getting scared .JMO

Lusiphur
06-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Aaa Ok

rb70383
06-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Lmao. Yea pretty much. Plus I just got 50 mpg on the XB.

The EBR is loads of fun. But it is 185hp and rowdy. However for a, let’s say ‘simplier’ ride. The XB wins. It’s the jump on it anytime and go. Now, another factor is that where I live the normal speed is 35mph. I’m sure the ebr would be happier at a more normal 45mph in a normal city.

34nineteen
06-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Cuz you can give it full throttle without getting scared .JMO

Dont let SR fool you... nothing scares him.

Silverrider
06-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Dont let SR fool you... nothing scares him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g907n_s3Joo ,This Is not me on my EBR !

optomist
06-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Just my two cents --I bought a new EBR RX in 2014. I couldn't decide--fairing(RX) or easy riding position(SX). I ended up getting the RX and raising the bars so now have a nutzoid kind of cruiser.

Of late I have been tooling around on the Uly and the RX sits, unlicensed, in the barn--what does that say?

Opto

dantroop
06-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Just my two cents --I bought a new EBR RX in 2014. I couldn't decide--fairing(RX) or easy riding position(SX). I ended up getting the RX and raising the bars so now have a nutzoid kind of cruiser.

Of late I have been tooling around on the Uly and the RX sits, unlicensed, in the barn--what does that say?

Opto

Not sure but I think it's saying, "What did I do to be exiled to the barn"?

optomist
06-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Nah, What "it" is saying--"I have 15,000 miles, newish tires and am looking for a new home".

I am enjoying the putt mode that the Uly offers, plus the roomy luggage. I think hyper-mode has left me. Another thread today on this forum refers to the "the siren song----", well, in the case of the RX it was a different sort of Siren and potentially very expensive.

Up in the mountains, the Uly is sufficiently sporty and to date it is my highest per day miler ever. Just eats up the miles and doesn't beat me up. I am trying to shift emphasis from burning up the miles to longer campouts and maybe some fishing.

Loved the RX, had to have it--now is different.

Opto

Noel
06-07-2019, 04:44 PM
I've never been on one of the new gen 200ish hp liter bikes, but have owned several over 100hp. Nothing is as big of threat to my license as my KTM dual sport with DOT knobs on it. I am ashamed to say what ridiculous hooliganism that bike brings out of me, may as well be 600hp instead of 60.

dantroop
06-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Nah, What "it" is saying--"I have 15,000 miles, newish tires and am looking for a new home".

I am enjoying the putt mode that the Uly offers, plus the roomy luggage. I think hyper-mode has left me. Another thread today on this forum refers to the "the siren song----", well, in the case of the RX it was a different sort of Siren and potentially very expensive.

Up in the mountains, the Uly is sufficiently sporty and to date it is my highest per day miler ever. Just eats up the miles and doesn't beat me up. I am trying to shift emphasis from burning up the miles to longer campouts and maybe some fishing.

Loved the RX, had to have it--now is different.

Opto

I've got one in my garage (not a buell)saying, "Let me outta here!"
Love moto camping. Unfortunately it's been a year (Carrizo Plain). What a blast booking it at 80 mph in the dirt on my dualsport.

Cooter
06-08-2019, 04:17 AM
Just put TKC-80 Knobbies on the STT ^^^

:angel: Moab, UT here I come!

dantroop
06-08-2019, 04:44 AM
Just put TKC-80 Knobbies on the STT ^^^

:angel: Moab, UT here I come!

Picts?

Cooter
06-08-2019, 06:36 AM
I always post pics:) Gotta get there and take some!
https://live.staticflickr.com/1899/30487399878_a5405e80d1.jpg

njloco
06-08-2019, 01:22 PM
That's a beautiful picture, I'd be paranoid riding on it, about some big animal jumping out and I end up hitting it at 60+ mph.
Do you camp out at all on these trips, that would be my style though not all the time, one must get a proper cleaning to be comfortable especially when around others.

P.S. enjoy the TKC 80's but be careful remember, if your alone, help isn't exactly around the corner but still sounds like fun, someday I'll take the ully out there with proper tires on.

The Bob
06-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Or you could stay home and watch league bowling.

dantroop
06-08-2019, 07:13 PM
If you can't make it to a shower for what ever reason, there's always a smoke shower. Not recommender for more than a couple days of funk.

My fav are the pirelli scorpion xc mid hard. Too bad they don't last long on the pavement. Great in the dirt though. Last set I had on my ds were Michelin T63. Lasted a bit longer. Was thinking I might try the Michelin Anakee Wild.

Nice pic. Nor CAL highway 1?

Cooter
06-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Looking at the Anakees myself! Once the Continentals wear out, but they are made of stone so...maybe thats never? Haha

The pic is on Highway 62 coming into Crater Lake on my way to the BEST Marionberry pie on the planet!:encouragement: I camp for 3 days, then luxury hotel/hottub/laundry to keep the funk off. Livin' large:)

https://live.staticflickr.com/1873/30487400318_a45e0aff4e.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/1873/30487399318_33ef575f1d.jpg
Camped about 100 yards off this gravel road 2 miles past a secret entrance to the Redwood Forest (wasn't supposed too:black_eyed:) Felt like land of the lost! I thought Big Foot was going to snuggle me at night:upset:
https://live.staticflickr.com/1873/44305931852_e96939c33a.jpg

Sorry for the hijack:)

Silverrider
06-08-2019, 10:43 PM

Lusiphur
06-08-2019, 10:43 PM
I've been there, and would love to ride my buell there.

Cooter
06-09-2019, 02:38 AM
Ha SR! Pic contest thread: Your Buell with BigFoot::eagerness:

https://live.staticflickr.com/1856/43638222524_6374b03385.jpg

Silverrider
06-09-2019, 11:00 PM
I always give in to my BF.

Lusiphur
06-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Lolol

rb70383
06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
That makes no sense. Why would you have goggles and not wear them? At least you don't strap your helmet to your bike as you ride...

Lusiphur
06-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Thats a dumb law in some states.
You are required to have a helmet per passenger, they just don't have to wear it.

Cooter
06-13-2019, 01:09 AM
Never knew that Lusipher^^^!

I thought the law was that you to wear chaps to protect JUST your upper thighs and lower legs, while your face, head, ass, and entire upper body are full of gravelly road rash.

njloco
06-13-2019, 02:45 AM
I hate road rash, I hate gravelly road rash even more !

rb70383
06-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Only a handful have helmets use required. I lived in AZ and rode without a helmet once. even with glasses I was having trouble seeing. That plus I felt more vulnerable.

Lusiphur
06-13-2019, 02:17 PM
I just can't do it. I also hate riding without a jacket.

When I crashed years ago, I hit the chin portion of my helmet and burned the outer layer of leather down to the body armor.

I am just not comfortable without either of those items on my body while riding now.

outthere
06-13-2019, 02:20 PM
^^^^^^^^When I did ride street it was full leathers all the time. Asphalt eats the skin and I have the scars to prove it from a few bicycle accidents. Bigfoot's a figment of someone's imagination. The air-cooled simplicity of the XB's hard to beat and easy to look at.

dantroop
06-13-2019, 04:59 PM
When people ask me, "aren't you hot wearing that jacket and pants?" I tell them I'm asphalt adverse and I like my hamburger on a bun not my body. I think racing (eons ago) instills wearing ATGATT. I never ride without it.

Cooter
06-13-2019, 05:08 PM
I think racing instills not riding on the street! LOL

wickedchop
06-14-2019, 12:28 AM
^^^^^^ I loathe riding on the street anymore. Some fu@kstick is always taking a selfie of themselves while driving and trying to kill me. It's only going to get worse. Until they start handing out attempted homicide charges for hitting us and murder charges for killing us it won't stop, it will only get worse! If I come to your house and beat you with a baseball bat I will get charged accordingly. If you hit me with your fu@king car you get a ticket. There are no repercussions for these assho!es!!!!!

dantroop
06-14-2019, 03:23 AM
I think racing instills not riding on the street! LOL

I agree. When I was racing, riding on the street was such a boor, I hardly did it.

But it’s been many years since. However, I think I would have to at least do track days if/when I pick up an EBR ;)

wickedchop
06-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Well I guess this is about as good a time as ever to get this off my chest. I've made a decision after my last get off to stop street riding and will be selling all my street bikes. I'll get to the crashing part later. For roughly the last seven years as I put my visor down and let the clutch out to leave my driveway I'm FULLY prepared for a fistfight......why? Because some fu@kn scumbag or numerous scumbags is going to do it to me. Someone is going to have their front bumper up against my back tire, someone is going to turn left in front of me, someone is going to almost run me over after I've signaled a turn, someone is going to pull out in front of me, someone is going to veer into my lane. It's not a question of if it's going to happen on a ride it's when and how many times. I don't like leaving my driveway with that feeling of being all ramped up for something I should be smiling about. It's just not there for me like it was 30yrs ago. I literally hate it. I will continue to race and do track days, we are going full bore on the RC51 in AHRMA next yr. I will continue to play in the dirt as well. Back to my last get off, stopping street riding has to do with me as well. I have very little self control, if I'm on some back road and come across a cool section I'm going to turn around and hammer it through that section. I don't want to get off on the street. Getting off on the track is a learning experience.......I got off, I analyze what happened fix the mistake and go out fighting to get faster. A get off on the street on my behalf is flat out because I did something I shouldn't have done and probably won't live through that get off. When the last street bike is sold I will part ways with this awesome forum. You guys have been like family to me. I will not part ways with those of you I've become very close with ( you know who you are) I'm looking forward to a lifelong friendship with those guys........

njloco
06-15-2019, 03:41 AM
You'll be missed, why don't you stop riding on the streets but, still come on here, you have lots of knowledge and I'm sure the guys that do track days would still like to converse with you, at least think it over.

As far as the street riding goes, while I can appreciate where your coming from, I used to ride through some of the worst traffic you could imagine but I decided I'm not going to let these idiots dictate to me when and where I can ride due to the fact that they can't drive, especially since it would be the same thing in my car.

Lusiphur
06-15-2019, 12:21 PM
I still participate on a forum for a car I no longer own.
Its still fun.
So yea, no reason for you to leave. The majority of bikes here will be the same years from now

optomist
06-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Hello, All,

I generally agree that the situation on the roads has deteriorated for us bikers. However, it seems much worse on the East Coast. Out here in the West ( excluding the big Urbans) riding is pretty decent. Lots less traffic and a lot more space I suppose.

I think, too, that there is a higher level of awake drivers( make of that what you want). One coping strategy that I have evolved to is that I just use the Uly on the public roads these days. It helps keep the speeds more "normal" ( although Cooter would not agree) rather then bombing around on the EBR. Sorry to sound old but I am enjoying the scenery more rather then burning up the twisties--definitely losing the top 10% ups the odds considerably.

On gear--After riding for years with an oddball mish mash of gear I invested in the one piece Road Master from Aerostitch.

Guess what, it is totally waterproof so far, offers awesome protection and is warm. In hot weather I just wear shorts under and it is not too bad. Only problem is too many pockets and I get mixed up but I am working on that.

So -- the responsibility thread--back off a notch or two and wear the best gear you can afford--and oh yeah, stay in the West.

Opto

optomist
06-15-2019, 01:46 PM
to dantroop,

I would love to find a home for my EBR so PM me if you want to discuss. I have never done a track day and probably never will--for some reason it spooks me more than riding on the highway.

This will date me I know but back in the mists of time I actually met Dick Mann, at the time #1. Probably the best rider on all tracks in the whole world and he never rode on the street. At least that is what I remember.

Opto

The Bob
06-16-2019, 11:56 AM
I totally understand those who love track days and racing and hate riding on the street. I've done a couple track days and a class or two but I love riding and it pretty much has to be on the street. At a time I commuted from Annapolis, MD to Chantilly, VA every business day for ten years. Guess what is directly in the path between those two places... Washington DC. I had to quit telling my wife how many times cagers (people driving cars) tried to kill me today. Cagers from all over the world drive in and around DC. I put 160,000 miles on one motorcycle riding this commute. (I had more than this one scooter during that ten years). I did everything I could to be on a motorcycle. I refereed bicycle races, I taught MSF, I went to rallys and met up with friends for a piece of pie on weekends. Iron butt. And I've only had one collision - my stupid fault - I rear ended a cager. No big deal but it counts as the only one. I'll keep riding as long as I think I'm in control. I'm a lot like the guy in NJ but I'm older. Ride like you mean it. Use your MSF and SIPDE. Always predict where the problem will happen and DON'T BE THERE!

njloco
06-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Which guy in NJ ?

Silverrider
06-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Just got home from a AM responsible ride.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48073697942_d85160522d_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gf7gx5)IMG_0644 (https://flic.kr/p/2gf7gx5) by Jack Joseph (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156119726@N06/), on Flickr

Lusiphur
06-16-2019, 04:53 PM
I'm not ready to give up either. It's a major part of my maintaining what little sanity I have left.

Silverrider
06-16-2019, 05:29 PM

The Bob
06-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Which guy in NJ ?

That loco guy in Joysee. Don't you also say "ride like you mean it"?

njloco
06-17-2019, 12:45 AM
Keep going Bob, that's the spirit, I just don't think your that old !

Hey Silver, can you get anymore of those T shirts ?

The Bob
06-17-2019, 01:01 AM
^^^^^^^. That old . My first motorcycle was a BMW in Germany in the Air Force in 1963.

Silverrider
06-17-2019, 02:20 AM
Keep going Bob, that's the spirit, I just don't think your that old !

Hey Silver, can you get anymore of those T shirts ?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=life+behind+bars+t+shirt&rh=n%3A14008361&ref=nb_sb_noss

rb70383
06-17-2019, 07:59 AM
WC...Sorry to see you go. Especially, you been keeping me excited about trying to get to a track day. Work....

Its not so much the bike as its the horsepower.... Bike or not, if it has power I use it. I have to go through a month of new toy syndrome. Around a month I can 'drive normally'
I do get more defensive on the bike. I bounce around in the lane, always try to not get boxed in, and don't pace anyone...

Oh and so far I can now go to 7500rpm on the EBR. And that is where it really seems to wake up.....:cool:

njloco
06-18-2019, 02:02 AM
Yeah Bob, you are older than me.

Thanks Silver, I have to figure out what color I want. I can't believe they actually made it in a color called asphalt !