PDA

View Full Version : Front end vib at speed

bry777
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey all,

I just bought a 2007 XB12s with 8500 miles from a Harley dealer.

I have rode it about 3 weeks now, and when I am at speed 50+ the front end seems to be vibrating slightly.... is this normal?

I have had 5 other sport bikes, but this is my 1st buell. I was thinking maybe that big engine is making it vibrate a little.

Also, it seems like when I brake it is kinda pulsating (front end).. not sure, this bike has ABS?

I checked air pressure in both - good
and tire is new (at least dealer says it is...)looks good.

I was gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow... but don't want to look stupid if its nothing.

any advice would be great:)

Midnight82
06-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Vibration is normail if it's not violent vibrations. It's a V-Twin Harley, so your bike is going to do some shaking.

Pulsing front brake, seems to be a common theme with these bikes, Might want to try cleaning your rotor really good, check your pad wear. If it's wearing all funky you might have a slight warp.

Another thing, you should check the suspension tuning. The bike is used, so the previous owner could have had it tuned for his weight. Example, Buell's factory settings are for a 150 pound rider. I'm a 240 pound Urban Ninja, so I had to throw down on some preload and dampning adjustments.

Hope that helps.

Eric - Midnight

bry777
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks Eric,

I will look into the suspension and rotor.

Bry

dave_xb12r
06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Remember it's a floating rotor, so make sure it can move at all the bolt points. Don't loosen the bolts, just push on the rotor

Midnight82
06-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Good add Dave.

One day I want to be as wise and 4-Stared as you.

bry777
06-20-2009, 12:00 AM
good stuff!! Thanks guys:)

Grrr
06-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Do you have any clicking that you can feel when you brake or over rough pavment? Or maybe the excessive head shake/wobble?

Try tightning your clamps on your stearing head. First make sure the bolts are tight on your bottom clamps (the tripple tree/forks). Then loosen the two top clamp bolts & the steerer clamp bolt. . Take a hex wrench and snug the crome nut/cap on top of the steerer tube. Tighten back all bolts on the clamps.

It should all the sudden feel tight and your front shock feels good when you brake, and the head shake will settle down. If that was the problem before.

Stevenc150
06-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Did you get this sorted Bry? Just curious if you've had the wheel balance checked also.