PDA

View Full Version : Heat Problem Solved!

BRatigan
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I finally solved the heat problem coming from the right side seat area on my Ulysses. I used adhesive backed flexible heat shield from DEI. I was able to make templates using painters tape for the seat areas on the underside, and I made blanket shields for the right side cylinder head area. The space between the air box cover and aluminum frame was the heat source that cooked my leg. Once that area is blocked it reduces the heat to near non existant.
I was careful not to interfere with the normal air flow over the cylinder head. The first pic shows the seat underside.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3290_20090620163844_L.jpg After you make templates from the sections, transfer the tape to the shiny side of the heat shield and cut to shape with tin snips or shears. The second pic shows the blanket approach to cover the frame opening. I removed only about 1/4 inch of the release film from the back and applied that edge to the inside bottom of the opening. The rest I simply tucked in so it only blocked the area.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3290_20090620163802_L.jpg The last pic shows the shield material under the air box. I am not to happy with the white fiberglass backing showing and I know that I could mask it, but after the really cool riding experiences I have had I am overlooking it for now. http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3290_20090620163722_L.jpg

This is really only temporary for me as I have a Special OPS heat blanket for Ulys on it sway, however this could be a permanent fix for those that are looking for a break from the heat. The DEI product was purchased from Pep Boys under a special order. The DEI number for the product is #050501 and it measures 21 inches by 24 inches, plenty for many projects.

Regards, BR

my99scoob
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
did the airflow kit not help? this was standard on later models

BRatigan
06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
My Buell is a 2008 model and it had the airflow kit as part of the package, but I found that when I came to a stop or when going slow that the heat was just too much to keep my leg close to the bike. This treatment made that problem go away. I just received my Special OPS blanket last night and will test the daylights out of it this weekend if it doesn't rain. Opie made a nice piece.

It also addresses the area between the frame and airbox where the bulk of the heat was eminating.

BR.

xtremelow
06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
I thought about this a while back but I guess I just got use to the heat and forgot about it. But lately it has started to heat back up here in good old MI so I may just have to give this a shot.

only1reds
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I've emailed Special OPS several times and have yet to receive a response [confused]

BRatigan
06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I know Odie has been busy and he had equipment down.
I had about a three week wait and man it was worth every minute. Its a nicely fitting piece of work.

In the meantime try what I did at first until you can get one.

For a really inexpensive solution, thin cardboard with a layer of aluminum foil can also be used in a pinch. Cardboard burns at about 457 F and the foil can keep much of the heat away.

I haven't tried that solution yet but in theory it will work.

BR

Kimberley
06-27-2009, 02:30 AM
I've been e-mailing w/Odie this week and ordered a full set for my '09 Uly. I returned from the beach today w/temps in the 60's and my leg was a tad warm. Am looking forward to installing them soon!!

Take Care.......Kimberley

BRatigan
06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Kimberley,

I just did my first test ride with Odie's full Uly sheild and it was amazing at how it eliminated the heat, worth its weight in gold. Fit, finish and materials were spot on.

Bill R.