PDA

View Full Version : New rider buying a Buell.. several questions for you experts

buellfiend
06-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Hey folks!

I've been reading this forum for several months because I wanted to see what actual owners had to say about the bike. Needless to say, its been about 95% positive. Glad for that, because this bike just seems perfect for my character.

So here are the questions, and all answers are appreciated:

* 984 vs. 1203 - OK, so I'm nearly 40 and really don't need or want to pop wheelies all the time. I believe the powerplant is basically the same in both bikes (the weight is nearly identical and the throw is different) so am I correct in assuming that the 1200 will be somewhat less "torqie" and less subject to unwanted wheelies?

* Given what I said above, presuming I'm fairly responsible, is there any reason I should forgo the 1200 and get the smaller bike? Will I be wanting that extra power later? Is it too much to handle? I am of course going to take the MSF beginning and intermediate classes. Honestly, the second reason I like the 1200 is the color scheme (the black frame as opposed to the silver of the 984). Oh yeah, and I just got divorced and sold my home, so yeah, I have motives...

* I've heard a lot of people say the only thing you have to do with a Buell is check the oil... does it leak a lot like I would expect with an HD or is it simply good maintenence?

* Does anyone have any experience with Icon helmets? The only forum posts I've found were from several years ago and they mentioned that the face shield fell off. My local store in Austin, Cycle World, doesn't carry Icon helmets but they carry all other Icon products. Apparently I have a Shoei head and do like the Rf-1000.

* Has anyone used a Scorpion alarm? I'm looking at that and Gorilla, both because they have remotes that work from 1/2 mile away. Any input? How about Lojack?

* Any other advice for this newbie?

buellxb
06-28-2007, 04:06 AM
You won't regret going with a Buell. I have a 1200 Scg model and I love it. I haven't ridden a 900 but the XB12 has tons of use-able power throughout the entire RPM range. Buells get a lot of attention from other motorcyclists. They're still rare enough to get the 'What the hell is that?' comment. I was afraid of riding a 1200 coming from a 600 Honda CBR and taking 4 years off of riding, but it's just a totally different animal, but not scary or unpredictable in any way.

I'm 5'7" tall and the Scg model fits me like a glove. My wife gets on back and I can sit flat-footed at a stop light.

I have an Icon helmet that perfectly matches my Buell Lightning. I have had no problems with it and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. (best out of 4 helmets owned)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1_20070627210527_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1_20070622171732_L.jpg

BuellPartsGuy
06-28-2007, 04:41 AM
1 - get the 12. If you can and like the colors better do it. Yes it is more power than a 9 and has more torque than a 9, it is manageable and you will probably want it eventually.

2 - I will personally fully back all of Icon's gear. Helmets, pants, gloves, jackets, and whatever else. trust me. You want to know why, search for a post on here titled "Bad Accident" and you will find out why. I would have been dead without it.

3 - I have had good luck with the Scorpion alarms I have seen go out here, though I haven't personally owned one. Seem alright to me.

4 - Checking oil is just good maintenance. Although they due tend to use a small amount between oil changes due to the breather design and other features, they do not leak or use it in a bad way. Just good to check it warm on the side stand every or every other time you get gas.

LeFox
06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
1. 9vs12: depends on what you ask from the bike, but i would go 12 all the way, no matter what.
the 9 is a bit more agile and also more stable at lower speeds, which makes it more suited for innercity traffic. but once you're used to the 12, it's no problem...both bikes handle way better than any other and the feedback you get from them is amazing!

2. don't have icon-dealers here...

3. don't use alarms...

4. checking the oil is something you just do, more so than with a car. overall visual inspection is a think you need to do...you're still vulnerable on 2 wheels.
but normally when you do regular maintenance you should have no problems.

NOMORE4s4ME
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
-Go with the 12. I thought about getting a 9...but just couldnt justify choosing the smaller bike when almost all else equal. The 12 has great power...but not anything out of control.

-No experience with ICON or the alarm.

buellfiend
06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
How about the extended warranty - did any of you get that, and has it been worth it?

I've seen some argument here about when it starts, from what I've read, the term begins at the end of the factory warranty - is that correct?

NOMORE4s4ME
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
didn't know they offered one.

BuellPartsGuy
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Warranties are always worth it to me. I got the extended with mine even though I am an employee. I get warranties on anything I can just for the piece of mind and it will usually save me money in the end.

buellfiend
06-29-2007, 04:20 AM
So I went for the Shoei X11 helmet today. I really like the Icon style, but the only dealer in town that carries Icon doesn't carry the newest models, and I'm not buying a helmet without trying it on first. Besides, with the heat and humidity in Austin right now, more airflow is really great.

Besides, nothing is too expensive to protect my noggin.

Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't have the XB12S in black, so they are looking around Texas for me. Luckily, since they don't have any openings in their MSF class until August, they told me that they would extend the $500 refund to any MSF certified school in town, so gunga aloonga, I have that going for me (anyone know that quote?).

So I might have my wheels in the next week or too... can't tell you how excited I am. However, with the constant rain, I have to post another question topic.

Strathclyder
07-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Buellfiend wanted asked about XB9 vs XB12 ... and said he was 40! Well, young sir, go for the 12! I am 68 and back to biking a year or so ago after 25 years of yearning for a bike again and after experience of other modern bikes I went straight for the XB12Ss - it's a great bike in town or country! Enjoy!

assfalt
07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Buellfiend. I have been a Buell xb (lightning) owner for over a year and I am in heaven. What I like most is the torque, with out the stressful high r.p.m. range of other bikes I've owned in the last 21 years. I've waited my whole riding life for Harley to bring this bike to the table, and it has taken someone out side the box to make it happen (thank you Erik Buell). As far as wheelie popping goes, the throttle control....well that's just it, your in control. I enjoy rolling through curvy roads without constant shifting. Ride hard-ride safe

midlifecrisis
07-06-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm 40 yrs old, married with seven kids. Was a Harley guy since before I was licensed and after over 40K miles I got out of the saddle for over a decade. Last summer my wife gave me the go ahead to get a bike with one rule - don't get something you don't want even if you have to wait a little longer to afford what you want. Well, I went and got me a 1200 Sportster and loved being back in the wind. Fast forward to early spring and I decided to demo a Firebolt 1200. Fugedaboutit! I should of bought this bike last summer. You will NOT regret the 1200. Although I guarantee you will like the XB9, get the 12. I work a 60 hour week and have all the time constraints of a large family (thank G-d, I don't regret my kids) I still average over 150 miles a week on mostly night jaunts with the occasional few hours in the afternoon. Get the twelve, more grunt down low where it's needed, the 984 revs higher which like LeFox said is better in the city (maybe that's why they call it the City Cross?) . 99% of my riding is rural (or highway to get to nice rural runs). Don't worry about wheelies, it's all up to you. Whatever you decide - enjoy the BEST REAL STREETBIKE made.

JSW07
07-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I'd say go for the 12 as well, the price difference is minimal and the extra power is just plain fun! I have had my XB12Ss for about a week now currently I have about 900 km's on it (sorry Americans) did my first oil change yesterday and she's a beaut!

LeFox
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
.. I am 68 and back to biking a year or so ago ...

hope i'm still on a bike at that age!
[up]

buellfiend
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
So as luck would have it, my dealership is discounting the bikes to get them off the floor in time for the '08 models, (any news about them?) and the price for the XB12S is now $8150, less than the MSRP price of the CityX (which is now priced at $7000). So bingo, its a no brainer now.

In fact, if they can find a place to put it, I'm adding Lojack to the bike.

However, they don't have the midnight black version, so I have them pulling the Kick Ash gray translucent plastics off a CityX and putting them on the 12S.

Yee Haw-- I'll be on my new Buell this week!!

His_and_Her_Buells
07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Big news for '08 is liquid cooling and DOHC, a highter revving beast up about 35 HP. But not in the Lightnings as of yet. They will probably roll those out in '09. It took them a while to bring out the full line of XB's that they have now. And congrats on the purchace, you will love it.

buellfiend
07-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks to all! Tomorrow is the big day. AM I'm going to get the license and then PM I'll be at the dealership. I expect I'll ride pretty much all evening (lets just get that wear in period over, shall we?).

I am totally psyched. Will post pics of my cross breed XB2S-X.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Just a couple of quick questions, where are you located and what dealer are you buying from, my wife is looking to purchase a CityX. Also what color is it now that you swapped plastice with it? Thanks

Strathclyder
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
LeFox, I hope you ARE still on a bike at my age. Here in the UK there are plenty of 'greybeards' enjoying two wheels and we tend to get cheaper insurance(having survived for so long I suppose). Good to be with you Buell guys.

buellfiend
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
His and Her Buells: In Austin, TX, and they have about 5 City-X's. Better hurry up and get yours- there is no 2008 model...

buellfiend
07-11-2007, 02:02 PM
So I put the money down yesterday and get the bike today!!! What I found out is that it is actually a 2005 model [confused]but I did get a lot of $$ off the price of the bike.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the 2005 model?? [up][down]??

Paul
07-11-2007, 09:35 PM
so hows the update to this story?...I am getting my 1st Buell XB12s this weekend..I have to drive 6hr's to the guys house...-Paul

ScottyDont
07-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Alright, after reading this feed, I am now confident that I should wait for the '08s to be available from AAFES. I just ordered an '07 9sx through them (last Buell available) in order to be able to take advantage of the program even after I leave this desert here in the next week or so. I really want the 12ss, and with all the updates to the bikes since last year I think it's a wise decision. It'll be tough to wait another couple months especially after 18 months already, but WTH.

So, buellfiend, how is the Dalai Lama these days? Still working on his short game?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-14-2007, 06:12 AM
His and Her Buells: In Austin, TX, and they have about 5 City-X's. Better hurry up and get yours- there is no 2008 model...

Thanks for the info, unfortunately that's 15hrs from us so we'll hold out for something closer. Buells websight shows the CityX for 2008, but we would still rather have an 07 for a discount.

buellfiend
07-14-2007, 07:35 PM
ScottyDont: Yes, so at least he's got that going for him! :p

Got my bike finally!!!! Its an 05, but I'm in love. I haven't seen anything about the new bikes and changes that makes me feel I'm losing anything, but who knows.

Definitely found that I need more time on the road the bring up my skills, however its raining here [mad]so I'm going to have to wait till this afternoon.

Till then, I go out and give it a little pat on the butt now and then..

HarryD
07-15-2007, 01:02 AM
buellfiend,

From the research that I have done, I believe that the '06/'07 got a stronger (lifetime) drive belt and a stronger oil pump drive gear as well as improved front disk floater bushings - all of which can be upgraded on your '05

LeFox
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
you can always check this link for what needs to be done on your bike:
checkup (http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/ServiceCheckup.asp)

BuellPastor
07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
HIs and Hers - I know Seminole HD (orlando area) has 2 Cities in stock and will deal. I just bought an 06 XB12S from them. Mike at the Buell store on 17-92 is great to deal with a Buell guy all the way. He has an 04 XB12S with a firebolt front end.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-25-2007, 05:07 AM
BuellPastor, thanks for the info, but we just found one closer to home and we pick it up on Sunday. She can't wait and neither can I because I've been reluctantly letting her ride my 12Ss in the meantime.:p