PDA

View Full Version : New guy..... Problems

Njonl
06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
I just bought a 2003 XB9S used with 15,000 miles on it. It has a full Micron exhaust system, open air box conversion with a K&N, and a supposedly programmed ECM to match the exhaust and airbox mods. He also gave me a box that says Direct Link on it. It has the cables and the little key in it as well. I rode the bike around for a day and it didn't feel like it was running top notch. I tested the battery and it only read 12.2 volts. I had the battery charger and not it seems like it is good to go. The bike still seems to be running rough. Seems to be coughing a little bit around 3,000 RPm. Also, if I'm idling and I blip the throttle a little, sometimes it will backfire. I'm gonna replace the plugs with some NGK Iridiums..... Any other ideas ? It looks as though the breather re-route has already been done. This is my first bike so I'm still learning.... Maybe all of these symptons are just the nature of the beast. Any input you guys can provide is great. Thanks!

dave_xb12r
06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
The cough at 3000 is kinda normal. It takes fine tuning to remove it. It is normaly there with basic maps. Buells don't handle little throttle blips very well. It's not a fast reving motor like jap bikes are.

Welcome to the Buell family and the forum!

Njonl
06-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I think I'm gonna take it to a local shop here and have them check out the map. As far as the throttle blip, thats what I figured. I've only owned this bike for a few days and I'm already having a blast. Thanks again.

Stevenc150
06-25-2009, 03:29 AM
http://users.telenet.be/mdr/fun/smiley/welcome.gif to the Forum! Great to have you on board. For what it might be costing you to take it to the shop, you could get a professional remap from Xoptiinside.com for about $100.

But if you're thinking it's not running top notch because of the lower rpm, slow speed tendancies, it's all part of the Buell experience. ;) Is it doing anything in particular?

Oh, and Congrats on your new Addiction. [up]

Njonl
06-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks! It is definitely an addiction.
I've been hearing a lot about xoptiinside but I'm not sure how it works. I'll have to do some searching. That price definitely sounds better than a shop would charge though. Right around 3,ooo RPM if I'm not on the throttle too much, it seems to be hesitating/popping a little bit. It's not horrible but it is noticeable. The bike also seems to be running hot. Seems like the fan is on a lot.

LeFox
06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20090506024515_L.jpg