PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party mufflers... should I get one?

buellfiend
06-29-2007, 04:27 AM
So I read an interesting article on the Buell site that talks about the benefits of the Buell muffler, namely that it has a butterfly valve and sensor that adjusts the output for optimal conditions throughout the powerband.

At the same time, its rather quiet, and I really want a windshield shattering noise to let people know I'm riding near their car.

But... don't really want to lose the benefit of the technology Buell instilled in the bike. Now Special Ops using Buell cans and just shortens them a bit. Others tell you to disconnect the sensor.

I'm not at all worried about getting more power to the wheel (I am concerned about losing it somewhere in the powerband), so whats a good can to look at?

buellxb
06-29-2007, 04:31 AM
I would go with Jardine and get the race ECM and a K&N airfilter.

buellfiend
06-29-2007, 04:53 AM
So I've heard the Jardine, and it does sound nasty, but does it work with the ECM built into the stock bike? If I replace the ECM with a race ECM, do I lose anything, like low-end performance or the ability to pass emissions?

mrdozer2you
06-29-2007, 12:35 PM
You dont need the race ECM unless you do the airbox mod as well. Emissions will pass still, there are breather hoses that put un burned gasses back through the engine. When you change your exhaust those are still in place, so no problems.
I think you lose a little on the low end with the Jardine but gain more in mid-top, at lease thats what mine kinda feels like.

chadxb12r
06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
dummer is a good exhaust , and u dont need to change the ecm , ive had mine for about 4 months and no problems!!

Phrogg
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
just making sure here. If i got he K&N air filtet, would I have to get the ECM to make everything ok? Or what "airbox" mod are you talking about?

His_and_Her_Buells
09-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Phrogg, Click on this for the airbox mod (http://www.buellxb.com/article474.htm)

Drummers are good, they kick but from idle, But I love my Special Ops pipe though. I like the idea of keeping the valve and all of my WOTs are in the 2k-6k rpm range which is where the valve really helps. Just my $.02. On a performance level I've yet to here anyone complain about the exhaust that they chose.