PDA

View Full Version : Accidently ran out of gas

Red Gecko
06-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Hey guys quick question. I guess i didn't notice the fuel light come on, but i did run it out of gas. I pulled over, got some gas and filled the tank. But now the bike won't start at all.

Just sits there and cranks. it is an 09.

Any suggestions what the problem is?

Red Gecko
06-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Does anyone might know this? I really need some help here. I was suppose to be riding home today back to Colorado. Now I'm Stuck in Utah. Bike still wont start.

Thaloc
06-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe clogged injectors? Im not sure, i know when you run a tank bare with fuell injection u stand a chance of **** getting sucked and stuck as its tried to get sprayed by the injectors. Iv accidently ran my 08 dry once, but putting some gas in seemed to work for me. Your bike should still be under factory warranty so if there is an HD shop in town they should sort u out for freeezy.

Good luck Bro!

Buell_Cru
06-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Check plugs first and make sure the plugs are wet and there is actually fuel making it to the cylinders. Leave the plugs out for about 30 minutes then put them back in and try to fire.

Was the can that you used to refill clean?

That's all I have for now.

Red Gecko
06-27-2009, 02:37 PM
yeah the can was clean. I'm starting to think it didn't run out of gas. We I filled it, It only put 3 1/2 gallons in, so there should have been gas in there. I took it to a local bike shop (not harley) this morning. They seem to think something else is wrong but they don't want to work on it cause they don't have any books on it. I'm am calling Harley soon as they open.

Buell_Cru
06-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Pull the plugs and check them also check the plug wires. They may have just been loose from the factory. Check them all the way back to the coil. It should only take you about an hour to get everything disassembled, checked and put back together.

Red Gecko
06-27-2009, 03:08 PM
how do you get the big black cup looking thing off the top of the air intake. I tried to get it off and couldn't figure it out. I'm on the phone with a harley shop now.

Buell_Cru
06-27-2009, 03:46 PM
You don't have to take off the whole velocity stack, there is a rubber plate that seals the top and bottom of the airbox baseplate. If you peel one side back and try to pull the airbox baseplate off at the same time it should come off. It's a little harder to put back on but just takes a little finess.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090627084601_L.jpg

Red Gecko
06-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Cool Thanks,

Well the Harley dealership doesn't go out and pick up bikes like the ones back home do. But they also said it would probably take a day to get it in and look at it. I have to be back to work tommorrow, so i want ahead and bought a plane ticket. I an having to leave my bike here for a month. But i do have a couple of hours to tinker around with it though before i leave :)

1001yos
06-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Maybe turn the bike on and off with the key and the fuel pump may have to prime itself. Ye old bikes I would have to "bump start it" for about a hundred yards to get the vacuum up and fuel runnin in the carbs, but fuel injection, when you run out of gas, the fuel pump needs priming again.

Cycle the ignition on and off without cranking the bike for a few times. It might help.