PDA

View Full Version : 2008 XB12 Lightning Electrical Issues

Mnjiikaning1
08-16-2021, 02:55 PM
Anyone know why my fuel pump, headlight, starter, and ignition would simply quit?

I have checked ground cables for corrosion, new battery with good charge, connections to battery-ecm-guage package-etc all checked.
Only thing I haven't checked is connection to starter, would all of these circuits quit if the starter wires were kind of loose? How hard are the starter wires to get at and tighten as it looks pretty cramped there?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Barrett
08-16-2021, 04:05 PM
Bill: See the below...work thru step-by-step...and see if this sorts it out for you.

1-Fuel pump is activated thru dedicated ECM ground. Pump has dedicated 10A fuse in fusebox. Check it closely and replace if popped or corroded.
2-Headlight and right switchgear starter button on same dedicated circuit. Check headlight fuse in fusebox and replace if popped or corroded.
3-Check the starter motor end of the Positive battery cable for tightness and corrosion....Check the frame attachment end of the Negative battery cable for tightness and corrosion. Common problem area as these bikes age. Both easy to access.
4-In your fusebox are 3 relays. All 3 are 20A rated and identical. They are ignition/key switch.....starter....accessory. Common XL/XR1200 relays and dealer available for under $8 each. They also cross over to common Chrysler and Ford A/C system relay available at any auto parts store. MUST be 20A. Take yours along and match up. I would simply replace the key switch relay first...see what you have....and if all well but still no starter action....then replace starter relay.
5-With key off.... kill switch to ON...headlight on LOW beam....now turn key ON. Gently wiggle the key in the switch housing and see if gauges sweep and pump turns on and off. If so, switch is either dirty and corroded or failing. Ray S. from OZ recently posted up a wonderful "how to" ignition switch assembly clean and repair on here for board members.

NOTE TWO THINGS: simultaneous failure of the pump...headlights....and ignition switch is 90% of the time key switch relay failure. If this is happening along with simultaneous popping of 1 or more fuses....you have imminent voltage regulator failure.

Good luck