PDA

View Full Version : idle hang up

grabbengears
07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Just got my first buell a couple of months back. It's an 04 XB12R with micron exhaust, race ecm and k&n filter and 7K miles. I just did the TPS reset for the first time myself using the ecmspy software. The bike starts and idles perfectly and runs fine. The problem begins when I come to a stop. The idle return is slow at first, and once the bike gets hot it will hang at about 2K and sometimes not come down at all. I have tried turning the idle down just below 1000 but still the same problem. Any ideas?

toddb3
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I would check for an intake air leak. After you check that do another TPS reset and set the idle while your still logged into ecmspy.

grabbengears
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks toddb. What is the easiest way to detect an intake air leak?

Stevenc150
07-02-2009, 01:51 AM
You adjusted the idle after getting the engine up to normal operating temperature? Sure sounds like the idle is just set to high. Hope it's nothing worse.

To check for intake leaks, with the bike idling, spray a some type of flammable liquid (brake cleaner, starter fluid, etc.) around the intake gasket. If the RPM's bump up at all, you've found your leak.

mtrower
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
hello got the same fault with the idling when worm did you find the fault with your bike thanks mark

Trill
08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I used a map gas bottle with a torch end and found my leak that way.. wish I hadn't found it because it was a PITA lol..