PDA

View Full Version : Rocker box leak?

blott01
07-02-2009, 01:38 AM
09 xb12ss, 3600 mi.

Anyone had problems with the rocker box gaskets leaking? My was and was fixed about 3 weeks ago under warranty. I think they are leaking on me again. Cooling fan, inside of the frame, and the rear jug all have an oily residue on them.

I have the breather reroute done but the lines and connections are all clean and dry so I'm sure that this is my problem. Just curious if I got a lemon or if this is a common thing?

buellboy007
07-02-2009, 02:28 AM
mine does it as well 2007 xb9r it is annoying

Lima
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
and mine too. two week old 2009 xb12scg, love the bike but annoying

OLDnINTHEWAY
11-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't have any answers, but I do have a question: Are any/all of you guy running synthetic oil? The reason I ask, is I have seen thread somewhere that talked about syn oil causing gasket problems. I'm thinking about the switch to syn, but am worried about that issue.

Just wondering if that could possibly be a common denominator with your leaking issues?

blott01
11-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Mine is not running a synthetic, just the conventional oil, and it actually has happened twice now. The second time they replaced my entire rocker box, new gaskets, all covered by my warranty. I thought it my have been due to the breather reroute but after the first time I just left the drain open and it happened again. Tech told me it was most likely due to bad machining on the rocker box. As long as it doesn't happen again but then again, it is a harley vtwin we're talkin about [smirk]

onelogue
11-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Mine as well. Conventional oil. xb12r. No breather mod. Leaking for 6000 miles now, and i heard the only damage it can do is burn out he fan if it get to it.

OLDnINTHEWAY
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech told me it was most likely due to bad machining on the rocker box. As long as it doesn't happen again but then again, it is a harley vtwin we're talkin about

Is your dealer going to (warranty) machine or replace the rocker box if it kills another gasket?

Buell_Cru
11-17-2009, 11:10 PM
When mine started leaking they fixed it under warranty. They said that some of the stock gaskets would not seat right or something. They replaced mine with a high end gasket, not sure the material. I have not had any problems since. The problem was at 4,000 miles and there is 14,000 on the bike now.

blott01
11-18-2009, 02:37 AM
The first time they just replaced the gaskets, the second time around they replaced everything. They have covered every piece and expense related to its repairs. Every single part; new gaskets, new rocker box, labor, oil because far more than you realize actually does come out so watch it so you don't end up low, has been taken care of by my warranty. NO way would they get away with not putting new gaskets every time or trying to charge me for any part and the buell tech there is a good guy and makes sure everything is taken care of. They ordered the front one on accident the last time so they have a new front rocker box just sittin there, hopefully my name isn't on it [confused]

stellio78
09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Mines leaking too 2010 model 5,200 km, only looks very minor, how bad where all yours leaking?

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p394/stellio78/Buell/PICT0005.jpg
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p394/stellio78/Buell/PICT0006-1.jpg

aptbldr
09-30-2010, 05:17 AM
a question:Â* Are any/all of you guy running synthetic oil?Â* The reason I ask, is I have seen thread somewhere that talked about syn oil causing gasket problems.Â*

I've heard (experienced maybe) this problem, but understood it's limited to to older Japanese motorcycles; bikes switched over to synthetic oil after a couple decades running standard oil. Reportedly, same circumstances can lead to clutches slipping, too (running in same oil as engine).