PDA

View Full Version : airbox delete question

jwa
07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey!
Going to set up the airbox delete -mod with a K&N "XB" filter. So I'm gonna cut the original airbox, but whats with all the stuff on top of it? All I can identify is the gastank breather hose(?). What is the servo-something on top of the airbox and can I strip it with this mod?
08 XB12Ss, Sebring slip-on, breather reroute done. After airbox delete I'm going let my HD dealer remap the stock emc.

jsg
07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
First off good luck with a remap since you have an 08+ bike. For the servo well if you have the sebring I guess it doesn't use the valve anyway so I think you could get a servo emulator or something like that to get rid of the servo. I am interested in the others suggestions since I'm thinking about the air box delete too on my 09

His_and_Her_Buells
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Remap will be necessary with open box, K&N, and aftermarket pipe. I just left the servo in place and removed the cable. This keeps the check engine light off w/o having to buy an emulator.

Midnight82
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
If you have ECMSpy you can go to the Diagnostic tab and uncheck the Acive Exhaust Valve radial button.

that'll cure the check engine light.

jsg
07-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Remap will be necessary with open box, K&N, and aftermarket pipe

I understand but with the 08+ bike like you know we don't have many option for that especially since Mike shut down xopti.

Stevenc150
07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
We understand but with the 08+ bike like you know we don't have many option for that especially since Mike shut down xopti.It's best for the bike is all we're saying. Even if it runs with intake/exhaust mods, you'll shorten the life of your engine. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Dealerships or JTS Performance (http://www.jtsperformance.com/) can remap '08+ ECMs.

jwa
07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
OK, thanks for the info. I'll probably make a new lid for the filter to keep the old box at bay, and just strip the servo&wires. My check engine -light is actually alredy burning anyways, the computer thinks there is a problem with some airflow control servo that was on the stock exhaust but is now gone. My dealer was unable for somereason to reset it but they are working on it... I'll let you know how the dealer will fix the problem calls if the solution turns out to be artistic.

Stevenc150
07-03-2009, 02:39 AM
airflow control servoThey have to be talking about the Exhaust servo that's we've been referring to. It changes the flow of the exhaust gases, at certain throttle positions, providing more torque in those areas.

buelltastic
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
G'day guys i have an 09 xb12ss lightning and i am going to fit the drummer muffler,airbox delete with a k&n filter,and breather reroute.My question is will riding the bike after mods,In closed loop mode relearn the ecm?.I can't seem to find any tech mods for 08-09 buells except ECMSPY which no longer exists.Any help would be appreciated:)..

Stevenc150
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
My question is will riding the bike after mods,In closed loop mode relearn the ecm?.Yes, but do a TPS reset before hand. Here's the procedure in case you don't have it: '08+ TPS Reset Procedure (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Troubleshooting/help-with-ecmspy)

Also, JTS performance is able to remap '08+ ECM's, might try contacting them: JTS Performance (http://www.jtsperformance.com/)

buelltastic
07-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Thank you kindly stevenc150 for answering my question.Much appreciated.[up][up]

Stevenc150
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Glad to help.