PDA

View Full Version : Sore Butt, which seat to buy?

typhoon
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a 07 Ulysses that the stock seat is just killing us on a longer ride. I know they have the Gel seat and also I have seen some have put on the Corbin seat. So what works for you if you have changed the stock seat.
Thanks

RT Performance
07-07-2009, 05:23 AM
OMG i sat on a used ulysses and was like wow thats comfy[confused].
Ride a bolt stock seat or Lightning low seat awhile.
Just teasing i thought the saddle gel was to firm for my skinny ass on my lightning.
never got a chance to try a corbin there so pricey

Point_Doc
07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I have for those long ride's a pair of padded bicycle shorts that I would wear under my leather's.

SylvanSlayer
07-09-2009, 02:52 AM
If you are going on long rides the gel seat will not help, after you bin riding for hours, it do not matter you ass is going to hurt. I drive standing up on the pegs for like 5 miles or so, it helps. Uly is nice i can satand straight up.

Point_Doc
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Along with what SylvanSlayer has stated; I try managing my ride by stopping around every 100 miles and hydrate/stretch/fuel.

It may not seem like much for that day, but the following morning I am informed if I managed my ride well or not.

chiligrease
07-13-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm sure i'll get flamed for this one: purchase a small sheep skin cover. it's keeps the heat down, which often results in swamp ass, and provides decent comfort. If it's small and detaches w/ease, you can discreetly take off when you stop as not to lose a point to two from your man card.

typhoon
07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys, I've tried the biker shorts, the standing up (hard to do with a passenger)and also the stopping every 100 miles or so. Then after the 100 it gets to be a shorter distance and a longer stop. The sheep skin thing I haven't tried and there is a place in the area that does custom ones, with I think a gel insert and not priced too bad. I did ask a guy on Ebay that was selling his Buell about the Corbin seat and he loved it.
Thanks again
John

wbedient
08-02-2009, 06:19 PM
what part of your guys legs/butt hurt from the stock seat?

My legs hurt at the point where the seam is, where the seat takes a steep downward turn. That corner hurts the bottom of my leg after about an hour of riding. my plan is to take it to upholstery shop and see if they can shave that seat down on the corner.

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I love the factory touring seats on my XB12R if I'm going on a trip. Gives extra leg room too.

TooFst
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
You'll have to let us know what you get and how it feels

slamkags
08-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I am am a new buell ulysses owner and am 6'5'' and I think the 2006 seat was more comfortablefor my height. I bought the 2008 with the low seat that pushes me forward leaving me with a sore butt.so I was wondering if there was anyone that has one who might want to trade for an all black?

keghead
08-06-2009, 06:24 AM
I find the seat gives me 'sore-butt' way too soon. Also, the recovery is not fast enough. When I'm 'long-hauling',the next morning after a few days,I'm still tender. Not good.
I have a sheepskin that I threw on my old Softail and just came back from a trip of 7.5 hrs of non-boring byways each way and will definately be throwing it on the Uly next time. I found it as a rug/souvenier at a garage sale for $5. The shape naturally fits quite universally as a motorcycle seat cover. Do I care if you think it looks silly? F*#k no!

wbedient
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey Slamkags, I have a all black 2006 uly stock seat that I would glady trade for your all black 2008 seat. Mine bike has always been garaged and is in great condition. email me wbedient@yahoo.com

SlyFox
01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
I've been using "Airhawk" and it definitely helps, but I still get a little sore on an all day ride. I' m thinking of throwing a sheepskin cover over the Airhawk. I'm wondering if those expensive custom seats do any better?

XRorXB
01-31-2013, 04:05 PM
All this talk of sore butts reminded me of that scene in Wild Hogs.

BuellyBagger
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
I have the "low" seat on my07 and find i can deal with it. Only minor sorness, my stock (I only rode with it twice) seemed very comfy. Im wondering if part of it is ur height effecting the angle ur bum sits on the seat since im short and dont have much discomfort. Maybe try lowering ur pegs? im just tossin out ideas...

steve92106
02-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Definitely rider height (or more precisely, leg length) is a factor. I bought my 2010 Uly XT with a lowered seat and the stock one. The lowered one was a non-starter b/c my leg inseam is about 38" to the ground and even with the stock seat I kept sliding forward until the family jewels were pushed against the airbox. So, my wife bought me the tall saddle from buellparts.net and I thought this was going to be great. I took it out on a long cross country with a 600 mile starter day and it was excruciating. I think part of the height adjustment is from making the seat wider and forcing your legs apart. This is fine for putting your feet down at stop lights but, Man! 1.5 hours and I'm feeling it. Next leg is 1 hour and I'm really feeling it. Then it's misery as soon as I sit on it for the third leg. Day two, ouch!

I too think I'm going to take the seat to a shop that does custom mods and see if they can narrow it and maybe round it a bit more like the stock 2010 seat. Or, maybe I'll try to get them to raise the stock one while keeping the rounded profile. I don't see why they don't make the seat narrow and rounded like a dual sport. I can sit on one of those for hours.

Funny thing though, it only gets me when I'm slab riding, sitting in one position for too long. I never feel it riding in the twisties.

88b
02-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Another vote for the Air Hawk pad, not cheap but worth it. My Uly kills me after two hours.

Petrus
02-17-2013, 02:34 AM
I have a Corbin and the Buell lower saddle. I used to be very happy with a corbin saddle on my Honda Transalp.
so that is the reason why I bought one. Now I find the Buell lower seat more comfortable then the corbin one that although supports enough seems a little thin in padding.

sprk_sprd
02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
OP,

If you can handle the increased height, I would recommend the "tall" seat (ie. original 2006 seat). It's much more comfortable than the "short" seat, especially on longer rides. I'm 5'11" and cannot fully flatfoot it while on the tall seat. But I still find it more enjoyable than riding with the short seat as that places too much pressure on the lower back & sit bone area. Someone said earlier and I would agree - it has something to do with how the shorter seat curves up toward the passenger area.

If you can't find a used tall seat, I believe they're $110-120 brand new.

matter
02-17-2013, 09:57 AM
http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html
Check out Spencer's seat mods.