PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light...trouble code 36

flaya564
07-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I was riding today with no trouble at all. After a few stops, I noticed the check engine light would come up on after a few minutes, stay on for about 5 to 10 minutes then go out.

I came back today to check the manual and did a code check without the ecmspy thingy. I got one trouble code of 36 ( Cooling fan). Not sure what that means. The book says high voltage/low voltage...wtf.

What do I Do?

I've had the right side air scoop on for a month or so, could that be the cause?

Fock347
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
you cooling fan could be broken/or you have a short somewhere in the wiring for the cooling fan. i would disconnect the cooling fan and test it with a 12volt power supply. then test the wiring for a short in the line.

flaya564
07-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, I took the bike to a friends shop where one of his techs used to work for harley. He said that the issue is most likely caused by the temperature sensor since the fan would run after I shut the bike off.

I replaced the sensor today. The light didn't come on for roughly 5 minutes of idling so I thought it was fixed. We went for a ride and the light came on for about 5 minute then went off and figured the computer needed to reboot or something.

After riding for 45 minutes, we stopped to get out of a storm. Later getting on the rode, after about 5 minutes the light came on and stayed on the rest of the 30 minute ride.

I haven't checked to see if there is another code coming through but was wondering if anyone has, had this issue or know what's going on.

flaya564
07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm trying to get the fan out to check the wires and such but I have to take the rear shock off (so says the buell bible). It says to put a scissor jack under the muffler at the jack point. I don't have the original muffler (Jardine RT-1), what do I do, where do I put the jack?

oxygen151
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Your fan will run after you shut the bike off if your bike is up to a certain temperature. Thats completely normal.

flaya564
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
It's not running during riding though, (traffic). The trouble code suggested the cooling fan.

flaya564
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
So I first watn to thank Dave xb12r & G force, for listening to me panic yesterday after putting in the new/used ECM.

AIM IS AWESOME!

The starting problem was caused by one of the diodes in the fuse box. I had taken all the fuses out to check them, took out the diodes and I put it back in the opposite way it came out. It's the little things right.?.

I also did the breather re-route, amazing difference. I'm guessing the idle will work itself out. Runs great but when I pull in the clutch and coast to a light the rpm's don't come down as quickly as it used to.

As for the trouble code, It's still there. The engine light stays on but I was tired of worrying about it and took the bike for a ride last night. The fan came on once in traffic (unusual) but never came on after I cut it off (very unusual).

Hopefully I can get the ecmspy to sort this out.

Thanks again. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

dave_xb12r
08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you're making progress on your issue. I know how frustrating these problems can be. Where do you live? Maybe someone else in the area has ECMspy already.

flaya564
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I live in Snow Hill, Maryland. I'm hoping to get the set up next weekend. Right now I'm enjoying the outer banks

flaya564
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
WIll get better pics later but thought I'd share.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3555_20090809140827_L.jpg

flaya564
08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
End of the story...The problem is fixed.

Everything wrong with my bike from the trouble code, engine light, ecmspy unable to clear the code....

IT WAS A FRAYED WIRE!!! The frayed wire was the check engine wire behind the windscreen. It was caused by the 6ft. pry bar that hit me way back in June.

Needle in a hay stack, I swear.

strmvt
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
hehe took awhile but you didn't quit and figured it out good job

dave_xb12r
08-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Score! I totally called it.

Good job finding it. Those little things can be a bitch

flaya564
08-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Yup. Thankfully it was the second place I checked. Cleared the code, reset the TPS and now it's raining so the test ride will be tomorrow, along with some new pictures. Thanks again for all the help.

fahren
08-30-2009, 03:13 PM
OK, but what did the 6' pry bar hit you with? :D