PDA

View Full Version : Wont shift to first while running after primary cover change

fitzwell
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I had a new primary cover put on my XB9 at hd shop because the primary chain adjustment threads were stripped. Now it wont shift into first gear some times and HD shop told me it was becouse of after market shift linkage so they put OE back on and told it was fixed but it is still doing it any help? It will shift fine when the bike is not running.

ophawk
07-08-2009, 05:26 AM
I would check to see if the Clutch is adjusted correctly. They can be very finicky, one or two flats off on the hex will make all the difference in how they shift.

chief_of_smoke
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
detent springs my be broke or the paw that the sprngs attach to. my need to take cover off and hone the brass bushing.

LeFox
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
what's the brand of the linkage?

was it working before?

tell your dealer to repair their f.ckup!

Buellysses
08-11-2009, 09:55 PM
[up] Fox...

It was working before, not working now... let them deal with it! Aftermarket shift linkage or not, still their problem.

Most likely guess is what chief was getting at, the primary probably has some crap on it from the casting process.

EDIT...
Re-read your post, missed the part where it would shift fine with the bike off. Most likely the clutch isn't adjusted properly. It doesn't sound like its disengaging all the way. Same solution as before, bring it back and tell them to do their job right.