PDA

View Full Version : Hyd Clutch Fluid Leak

shoeshineboy
07-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Anyone had or heard of any issues with clutch fluid leaking from the weep hole on the clutch cover? Noticed today that a little had seeped out. Going to swing by the Harley store tomorrow and see if it will be a warranty issue.

Stevenc150
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Not even sure where it's at to be honest, so it must not be a common problem. Pics?

shoeshineboy
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Here's a pic of the leak. Definitely clutch fluid cuz it's bubbling the powdercoat. Hope they replace it under warranty. Made an appointment at the Harley store to bring it in. They weren't sure about it either since they don't work on them much.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4062_20090709094239_L.jpg

shoeshineboy
07-13-2009, 12:40 AM
So I pulled the plastic cover on the outside of the clutch cover. Inside is a bolt and what looks to be a seal/washer/spacer(wishing I had a manual so I could know what the part names are) for the hydraulic clutch. Pulled the clutch in and out a number of times and from what I can see whatever type of seal in there is letting fluid by. Can't get it in until the 20th which really sucks!

shoeshineboy
07-25-2009, 03:59 PM
UPDATE: Got the bike back today. They replaced the clutch o-ring,piston lining, and cover. Hope this was a one time fluke. All was covered under warranty!

shoeshineboy
08-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Well, my clutch started leaking again. Brought it in and Harley told them to put another kit in. Luckily for me my dealer fought with them and they are also going to replace the piston along with the sleeves, seals, and cover. Hopefully this fixes it or it's going to turn in to quite an ordeal.

Stevenc150
08-22-2009, 03:29 AM
[mad] Sucks man, hope they get it sorted.

ZXHOOLIGAN
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm experiencing that problem right now![confused]:(...Dealer I bought from closed for good....now I'll have to travel an hour and a half!!

shoeshineboy
08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Let them know about what to expect and hopefully they will replace everything the first time around so you don't have to make a return trip. I lucked out and my dealer is only about 5 minutes away. Just sucks that I will have to miss out on another few precious days of riding!

shoeshineboy
09-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Finally got the work done(2nd time). Took 3 weeks for the parts to come in. Thinking Buell recognized the issue and pulled the parts they had and got new one's(good on them). Dealer hooked me up and had it done in a few hours! Looking forward to being able to get on it and ride normal again. They said I could ride it until the parts came in so I kept it clean and put some fluid in occasionally but didn't like the way it felt when I was hitting the throttle so I drove it pretty conservatively. See how she feels when I take her to work today.

Tank
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Shoeshineboy, Mine is not leaking very badly at all, but can see what looks to be the beginning stage of a leak. Did they come up with a new revised kit to fix the prob, or did they just shotgun the other components?

shoeshineboy
10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I think they got all new kits to replace them with. Mine didn't leak badly either but it shouldn't leak at all.

Geforce
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
There is a history of this issue. BMC knows about it as does Rotax. The 2008s had a weak seal and sleeve. The 2009s have the revision B cover standard. It enlarges outer puck and allows more room to hold the fluids expelled.

There is a warranty fix available for this. Your dealership should be able to repair this item. There is a fix kit that includes a new seal and sleeve. You may or may not get a new clutch cover...unless there is damage caused by the leaking fluid to warrant a new cover. I hope this helps. It takes a while to get the kits because they are being ordered from overseas.

Geforce
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Also, the 08/09s had different covers but the same internals...so they are both prone to leak at some point. NOT ALL OF THEM... but some could experience failure. The worst case scenario is to pull the clutch in at idle and have it shoot or gush out. You can still ride if it is just a weep. If it gushes ride at your own risk.

roadrocker
10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Buell has a fix for the problem, they have a new kit for it they should replace it for free. I had the same thing happen to me and they fixed it :D

4EvR
03-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Nice, *shakes head, I just got my 08' with 5k miles on it, put 28 miles on it, and this is what I found on my bike. Glad to see there is a fix. Now to see what the non-hd/buell dealer will do for me.

4EvR
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/parts-accessories/powertrain/ebr-clutch-actuator-cylinder-kit.html

Is this what I'm lookin for?

4EvR
03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Nevermind, I found the answers I'm lookin for.

Skid Squidman
04-01-2012, 03:20 PM
So 4EvR , what did you find out ? Is there updated parts for this fix ? Mine (08) started as a slow weep , but now is gushing really bad .

Does anyone on here know how complex it is to tear into this thing and change the bad seals ? I gotta get her back on the road . Thanks .

brumbear
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
just replace it with the EBR or Oberon set up they all leak Skid and the EBR setup will set you back $100 and it aint bad to install and you are 1 and done.

Skid Squidman
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks bear . :)

4EvR
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
So 4EvR , what did you find out ? Is there updated parts for this fix ? Mine (08) started as a slow weep , but now is gushing really bad .

Does anyone on here know how complex it is to tear into this thing and change the bad seals ? I gotta get her back on the road . Thanks .

I work on cars as a hobby, not bikes, this took me 3 hours with the service manual. All I have to say is dont get that fluid on anything, follow the tsm step by step.

I got the EBR sleeve and piston for $99.

I should've blead the lines and wiped any left over as I went, completely, I tried to bleed a little and sneak the parts out. The sleeve came out easy, but the new one back in took some finess. I beat it in with a mallet on a 2x4, make sure the nipple lines up with the cover. To get the nut off you need a special tool or get your vicegrips on a socket (13mm I think) with a allen wrench to hold, just loosen (counter-clockwise) the nut with the vicegrips, keep the allen in place, dont let it spin. It feels like forever to get it off, it does, just be careful when it comes off, the spring wants to exit like a 9yr old in neverland. As much as you expect it, it gets out.

This is in no order, follow the tsm.

Everyone says go buy the part and its an easy fix, its not unless you work on bikes all the time.

If you need anything, dont be afraid to pm me.

Just keep alot of rags handy to wipe up the Dot4 asap.

The guys at EBR are AWESOME, Danny, to be more exact, He has helped me with alot of the problems I've had.

mp587
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Did you have to drain the engine or coolant? Did you have to takeoff the whole side cover? Or just the puck?

4EvR
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Did you have to drain the engine or coolant? Did you have to takeoff the whole side cover? Or just the puck?

You dont have to drain the coolant.
You dont have to drain the engine. Oil? nope.

If your replacing the sleeve and piston:
The whole cover has to come off.

Get a TSM and follow the directions.
Starts on page 342/556 in pdf format or paperback page 6-13