PDA

View Full Version : 98 s3 rear shock adjustment

aaronbuell
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a 98 S3 I need to adjust the rear shock for my weight it's like riding a hard tail chopper. Could some give me some pointers. I'm 5'9 165lbs
Thanks

ophawk
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Aaron, do you have the newer style shock, or the original one with the exposed spring? the one like that had adjustments both for jounce and rebound. The replacement has one adjustment for both, and I have tweeked it and never got a great feeling out of mine, not bad just not as good as the feeling of the original.

aaronbuell
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
It doesn't have and exposed spring it's the newer one. I have never messed with something with so many settings and don't know where to start. I was told if I mess with one setting I will have to adjust all of them.

ophawk
07-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Aaron,
the one I have only has one screw near the rear on the right side that adjusts both jounce and rebound. and you spin the outer housing to adjust ride height. My original had the exposed spring and separate adjustments for jounce and rebound. and and just tighten or loosen the tension on the spring for ride height.
You may have one of the intermediate ones, they had some issue where they came apart at the front mount. Buell may replace that under recall, as I seem to remember that's how I got my new one.
Give them a call, you don't have anything to loose.
Later

aaronbuell
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I contacted my local stealership when I first got my bike a few years ago. They were't very helpful. They kept tring to sell me a new firebolt. I'm going to contact Bear H-D in PA. I'll let you know if they are any help.

Thanks again

aaronbuell
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I've had no luck so far. They haven't called me back I guess I'm on my own on this one. If anyone knows of a site that does searches on motorcycle VINs
please let me know. I can find any.

stopie20
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
well it sounds like you know where to make the adjustments, you just need the how and why... Here is a great article on suspension setup.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/146_0402_suspension_setup_guide/index.html

aaronbuell
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks
ophawk and stopie20

I think between the info you both gave me I should be able to get it adjusted. I just wish I could find out if the recall was done.

ophawk
07-22-2009, 05:48 AM
you may be able to call the factory to find out?, or give another dealer a call, Arrowhead here in the Phoenix Area is decent. It is also where BPG works.
(623)247-5542. Give them the whole spiel. They may also be able to direct you to a decent dealer in your area.