PDA

View Full Version : Drummer & Spec OPS Pipes

HOVERJOCKI
07-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys & Girls.
Looking to find out who is running which of these 2 pipes and peoples opinions.
From what i have read on the Spec OPS page they retain the valve for the 12S models & Drummer takes it out plus the Spec OPS pipes is a little cheaper.
I'm looking to find out if anyone finds any difference between the 2 pipes and to see if one is better than the other ( power gains or losses, sound ).
Also, i want to add the Race ECM but again will it make a difference depending on the pipe.
I'm not looking to start a war over which pipe is best just need some help in deciding which way to go.
Thanks for any inputs.
Justin

JSW07
07-03-2007, 01:09 AM
I'd love to help but I don't have eaither or! I have heard good things about each pipe so ifeel with you, its a tough decision!

jsg
07-03-2007, 01:47 AM
The only thing that could make me go for the spec ops instead of the drummer is because it keep the valve. I don't know how much of a diff it makes but all the 12 I tried with a after market pipe (race kit pipe which doesn't keep the valve) seemed to lack a bit a the bottom compare to the stock pipe. So I guess the valve is there for a good reason and I like Buell for the very low torque.

hybrid
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM
There's a post on this forum that has the creator of the drummer exhaust systems stating that it is built with minimum requirements to improve your bike meaning... install with all other stock parts such as filter & ecm in particular...ride your bike between 3000 and 3800 rpm's and the bikes computer will adjust to the new exhaust. I dont own either exhaust but from reading the forum I wold go with the drummer. The customers who purchased are blown away by the difference it makes and are very pleased with the personal one on one support they recieve from the designer. kdfab.com

LeFox
07-03-2007, 10:41 AM
if you're just using the oem ecm, which is programmed to work with the valve, the logical choice would be the spec ops

powerband with race ecm is better with the drummer and even more with a custom mapped ecm. so if you are looking for a custom pipe and are willing to change the ecm, go with drummer. i would then also advise you to switch airfilter ;)

MPea3
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
We have the Drummer on Beth's cg. Great sound, great workmanship, and after 2 weeks and a TPS reset it runs better than ever, even at low rpm and with the original ECM. We originally were going to go the special OPS route, but looking at the loss of low end power on his dyno sheets (even with the valve) and the difficulty in communicating with him, we went the Drummer route and have been happy.

HOVERJOCKI
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
MPea3
Just curious if you did the whole thing yourself and if so how hard is it to take off the pipe and replace it???
I'm not mechanically orientated and i want to do the mod but just a little nervous about cocking it all up....i've read the drummer removal sheet and that pully wheel sounds like it might be trouble.
Any input would be great.
Thanks alot
Justin

MPea3
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
You'll have to do the pully wheel regardless of what muffler you use. It's not hard though, with the Drummer directions, the right tools and an hour and a half, ANYONE could do it. Beth did most of hers, and she's not at all mechanically inclined.

If you have no experience at all mechanically, I would recommend that you tag or bag items carefully as you disassemble things, and write an unbuild/build sheet as you go along. Eventually you won't need that, but for now it will keep you out of trouble.

BuellPastor
07-20-2007, 10:29 PM
I emailed some questions to Kevin at KDfab. He was great. Looks like I will be a Drummer guy soon. Although I did hear a Jardine on a bike today. Wow, did it sound good.