PDA

View Full Version : Another strange engine noise

Regular Guy
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Hoping to get another diagnosis here, of an odd noise my '09 xb9sx has been making. It's a hard noise to describe and I'm having trouble equating it to anything but I'll do my best.

Nearest thing I can think of is that it sounds like some kind of hollow metal grinding. Like grinding a peg/scraping a muffler, or gears grinding, or better yet, a sick duck trapped in my muffler quacking. It usually only "quacks" once or twice for a second or two and occurs At low speeds/rpm, generally when I've just started riding it after letting it warm up for a few minutes.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-RG-

Stevenc150
07-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Have you checked you're header & exhaust bolts/clamps to make sure they're tight?

Buellysses
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Did you try removing the duck?

Buellysses
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

It's kind of a stretch, but take a look at the belt guards. Make sure they aren't rubbing on the belt. My lower guard was rubbing, and it kind of sounded like what you were describing.

Regular Guy
07-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Dealership says the warranty won't cover duck removal. Any idea what page it's on in the service manual or know where I can find a writeup? :p

Checked both the belt guards and the header and exhaust bolts and clamps. Bolts/clamps all appear to be tight, and the belt guard doesn't appear to be rubbing. Can't find any signs of wear on the belt either, where it might have been rubbing during riding. I'm guessing loose bolts or rubbing would probably be continuous sounds while riding anyway, whereas my duck sound only occasionaly quacks once or twice at the beginning of a ride, which suggests to me it has something to do with the engine still warming up or some kind of low rpm issue. Dunno though. I'm out of ideas and willing to check anything.

Thanks for the help guys!! Much appreciated. I'll keep looking in the meantime

-Rg

Buellysses
07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Just get a license plate that says "duckit" and go with the unique sound your Buell makes.

gbalias
07-17-2009, 01:47 AM
haha. i like that.

gbalias
07-18-2009, 01:25 AM
lift the wheels off the ground and see if its resonance from the brake rotors on the pads.

nelfire12
10-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I have same problem with the engine noise let me know if u found any thing that fixed it

Kole_DeWoody
10-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Buell engines/bikes in general make alot of different sounds.. lol

stopie20
10-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Is the noise there at all times when the engine is running or only certian conditions... like hard acceleration, crusing, taking off from a stop, slowing down? Does it matter what gear your in?

A few more details if you would....