PDA

View Full Version : ECM compatibility

Buella
07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I just purchased an 04 XB12R. the stock ecm is shot, it throws every code in the book. the bike will start, idle, runs really rich, and then dies. you can keep reving it to keep it running, but then it drowns itself with fuel and dies. the dealer says to replace the ECM. my questions is what years use the same stock ECM? the bike also has a K&N air filter installed.

option 2 - the bike also came with a race ecm. i have read that you shouldnt map a race ecm back to stock, nor should you use a race ecm without exhaust. if i purchased a jardine slip on, installed the race ecm, would i need to do much more besides reset the TPS?

please enduldge.

keppi
07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
take the Race ECM and make a TPS...runs fine with this config
Race ECM, HSA Power Race and K&N
why should u have a problem using a jardine ;)

Buella
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
how do you make a tps? i have a spy cable and program. is this something i can tackle solo or does a dealer need to do it?

keppi
07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
u can make it solo...u find the how to in the ecm spy
tuning guide
http://www.ecmspy.com/download/BuellTuningGuide_EN_V1.6.pdf
page 25

Stevenc150
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Installing Race ECM, Slip-on exhaust, high-flow air filter (K&N) , and following with a TPS reset & long ride-in (15mins.+ ride keeping around 3200rpm or more) - should get you back on the road. The TPS reset, like keppi said you can do, or the dealer can do. Best thing for the bike, after modding, is to follow up in the future with a custom map.

Buella
07-15-2009, 05:08 PM
can i run the bike with the race ECM and K&N filter before installing the exhaust?

i appreciate the input folks.

Stevenc150
07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know, there's a big difference in exhuast flow comparing the stock pipe to an aftermarket. Maybe wait and do them all at the same time.

Though, I suppose it could always be put back to the original setup if you decided to try and see.

chief_of_smoke
08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
i have a race ecm, k & n air fillter and stock pipes. no problem on my end with it.