PDA

View Full Version : Intermittint starting

2bolts
07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
UGH!!! HELP!!
Have an '04 XB12R all stock having issues with starting, most of the time it will start, sometimes it won't. When it dosen't, sometimes there is a click from the starter, sometimes there isn't, sometimes when you turn the key you get your gauges and no fuel pump, when ever the bike is running the neutral light is on or flickering most of the time. I start the bike in neutral, don't need the clutch pulled in. Have checked fuses and changed out relays. Short? Bad Safety switch? Connections? Where too start??[mad][confused]

Buell_Cru
07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I know a guy locally who has been having issues right behind the starter button. He says he has to take his throttle housing apart every so often and clean the connections. I would try that first. Also check the plug wires all the way back to the coil and the battery connections.

Buellysses
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I would take a look at the grounding. Start with the battery, make sure it's tight on the post and on the frame. There's also a ground up under the front fairing, on the front of the frame. That provides the ground path for everything up front, if that came loose I would think you'd see the problems you are having.

Stevenc150
07-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Yeah, seems like a grounding issue. Is it the original battery? If you're not sure, take the battery to an auto parts store and have them check it under load - if for nothing else it's free.