PDA

View Full Version : oil change on '08 XB9SX

Thunderstorm
07-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Hello Buell rider,
When I changed oil & filter on my '08 XB9SX as per workshop manual, one thing that bothers me is that it holds 2.5 quarts of oil in oil tank, what about old oil left over in engine crankcase? Of course there's no drain plug underneath of crankcase, only on bottom of oil tank, after got it running at normal operating temp. and checked the level, oil coloration seems more darker than I put in newly clear oil, what do you recommend to perform that oil change? or change oil little more often, I appericated for your answer......

Buell_Rider
07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Wasn't sure if this was directed at me or not but the trick is to change the oil before going black. So yes more often oil changes will fix the problem; even if the owner's manual states a certain amount of miles before needed (you have to take into account environment, and how much and hard you are riding).

Unfortunately that's about your only option...that and make sure the oil is at fully hot running temp before draining.

hula Buell
07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
It costs a little more but I always change it then after the next ride change it again.On the second change it look healthy.

Thunderstorm
07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, I appericated it, I'll keep an eye on oil til gets darker and change again, forget the mileage due, to Buell rider, Im sorry I dont mean direct to you, I meant to all Buell riders ha, thanks.