PDA

View Full Version : Oil burn / Crank Breather

anrusso
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
So I just got my xb12s couple months ago and I ride it a lot. It's my only vehicle; no car what so ever. I can average about 1000 miles a month and plan to take it across the country. Just noticed and read that they tend to guzzle oil, especially the way I ride it. Up to a quart every 1k. Will modifying the stock crank case breather help keep this more manageable and what after market parts would you guys suggest. Thanks for the help!

mrdozer2you
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
A new seat for sure, got to protect the bum!! [up]

anrusso
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Ha Ha! yeah, got the gel seat already. looks great! Windshield on the way. But I can't carry 4 quarts of Royal Purple with me to keep pouring in every couple days! Please tell me how to quench the thirst of my bike!

badbandit12
02-23-2008, 04:25 PM
I think you could have another problem my 04 xb12s doesn't use enough to even tell between oil changes . I would have it checked out!!

BuellPartsGuy
02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
If you ride it hard or at high speeds, it will use oil. American Sportbike has a catch can set up that will help remedy that.

badbandit12
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
not at the rate he is talking about !!!! I dont think theres many people ride much harder than i do my buell. Having to carry oil aroud with you for a trip is crazy. I loged 600 miles ion two days on my buell just a few weeks ago and it was all curvy roads no oil burning. he is saying he burns a qt. about every 1000 miles that is not normal!!!!

BuellPartsGuy
02-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I used to beat the living crap out of my XB9R and used about a quart every 1500 or so.

badbandit12
02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
man i dont have that problem . And I do ride the hell out of the buell I have friends that cant belive it will hang with there track bikes. If my bike used that much oil I would truly sale it!!Thank god mine dont.

norgetab
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
If your bike use oil it must go somewhere, start by checking your exhaust outlet. On a normal running engine it should be dry, if you have a lot of oil here you might have to replace the piston rings. Obuesly you would be able to see if the engine is leaking so i assume this is not the case ?
I do not have a Buell,so i can not comment on this particular engine. other source of oil leaving the engine is through the valves, where you have a leakage around the sealing for the Inlet or exhaust valves, again i have not taken apart this engine so it is just from common experiance from other engines.
PS I get my XB12 scg in 2 days...;) in a year i will know every bits from ths bike.