PDA

View Full Version : How do I pack an exhaust?

Korruptor
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey guys,

My girlfriend just bought a 2005 Buell Blast. It has a Vance & Hines exhaust and carb kit in it. She thinks it's too loud and wants to switch back to the stock exhaust.

I read on a post here from somone in the same situation, and a suggestion of leaving it as is but pack the exhaust to make it quieter (only his exhaust is a Kerker).

I researched and discovered some people used steel wool for packing, but I can't find anything about HOW to pack the Vance & Hines exhaust.

Will packing the exhaust make it much quieter? Anyone have a link to instructions, or can tell me how to pack this thing?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I was the one with the other thread on the same subject. I ended up going back to the stock exhaust for several reasons.
A: I already had the stock exhaust and therefore didn't have to spend any money!
2: We are going to the Buell homecoming this weekend and time was of the essence.
C: As per ezblast's recommendation there is no need to re-jet the carb

My wife couldn't be happier with how much quieter it is and it actually seams to run a little better. But if you must repack here is a link to another thread that has a link to a repack kit.

other thread with link to a repack kit (http://www.buellxb.com/article585.htm)

Although it has probably been done, I wouldn't recommend the steel wool, it does burn. I think a ceramic wool is what is called for in this situation. But that's just my opinion.

ezblast
07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Concur!:D:D:D:D

Korruptor
07-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that! I'll switch back to the other exhaust and see how it runs. Doesn't seem to be too big of a job to switch over.

deadpool
09-28-2008, 12:14 AM
if loud is the problem check out supertrapp although u have to weld the bracket tunable exhaust is the best
the stock pipe sucks it is heavey and it prevent easy oil change and trani change
it also has a lower clearence from stock to a diff pipe u have to rejet v&h is ok but it is loud repacking is easy remove exhaust undo the 4 bolts that hold the rear tip in slid perferated tube and rear tip out