PDA

View Full Version : So I pulled a newb and I need some Help

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey every one Julian from Seattle I ride an 04 XB9 and love every freakin minute of it! Its all I do these days.

On too my thing, I had my friend on the back of my bike just crusin around my neighborhood and I tried to pull a hairpin turn at like two miles an hour and my friend leened into the turn to much and we tipped the Buell. I now lame I just wasnt paying attention to my speed and and with two people on their I couldn't stomp down and catch myself. We were both ok not even a scratch on either us and the bike fared well just the bar end mirror was bent and a scuff on the frame puck (got some good use outta that investment?) and I snapped the left side peg. All in all no biggie picked her up and she ran like a dream thank god.

Now heres the thing the headlight doesn't work anymore? Nor does the high beam. The brake lights still work and all the turn signals I checked the fuse and its good. What should I look for to figure this out? Kinda weird how only the headlight doesn't work but all other lights do? I tipped on my left side could the high beam light switch module been the reason? I really dont know where to start and Id rather not pay the tech two hundred bucks for something that I could just as easily fix.

Any help on the matter would be awesome!

dave_xb12r
07-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Did you pull the bulbs and check them?

Supermanrider
07-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah the filament thats in light bulbs could have broke free

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Im trying to figure that out actually I cant get the light module out and dony have a manual so m tinkering with it to get to the bulbs. At a glance they look good but im still gonna check, what are the odds that both went out though?

twisted
07-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Check the power connection to fusebox. If neither light comes on there is not a connection behind box. Turn key on put high slightly pull or push wires to find loose one. It happen to me ... without the dropping of the bike.

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Sorry to newb it up come more but what would I be looking for as far as the power connection to the fuse box?

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Snapped a pic of the fuse box just point me in the right direction and that would be great

Im just wondering if its the two big power couplings or is it under the fuse box??http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4312_20090720184621_L.jpg

strmvt
07-21-2009, 01:54 AM
that's your ecm I'm pretty sure the grey plug to the left of the fuse box is where'd you would hook up to it if you use ecmspy

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 03:19 AM
What is ECMSPY is it like a diagnostic tool I need or something?

xtremelow
07-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Yeah ecm spy is self tuning software.

It sounds like it is the bulbs, I wouldn't worry about the fuses and ECM under the tail.

Just start taking the front apart it is really simple if you just get to it.

LeFox
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
1st of all, welcome to the forum.

2nd, on the top menu, there's a link called 'Buell Service Manuals', click it and download the service manual.

that will show you which fuse is which and also how to remove your headlight bulb.

80% sure it's just your bulb that died during the shock. ;)

Stevenc150
07-21-2009, 04:09 PM
If you'd like an '04 Lightning service manual, post up your email address, I'm sure someone will share.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. :D[up]

sivartjs
07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the support so far guys! my email is sivartjs@gmail.com and unfortunately someone before me stripped to hell the lower bolt for the light housing so im trying to figure out how to get that bad boy out might have to drill it out but its in a weird spot so ill have do some more taking apart. Just so I know before hand what bulb do I need?

1stxb9r
07-22-2009, 02:44 AM
if the head of the bolt is bad just go to a hardware store and buy a set of easy outs, if the head of the bolt is good but the bolt just spins then you will probably have to drill it out. I had a headlight problem a few days ago, make sure the wires going to the headlights are connected.

sivartjs
07-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Yeah had to drill it out unfortunately it was the lower one and had to come in at all sorts of weird angles, broke a titanium but but I finally got her lose! And while I was in their did the dual headlight always on mod and dropped the fly screen down a notch looks killer thanks for the help guys!!