PDA

View Full Version : Safety, tips, tricks?

buellxb
07-04-2007, 05:38 AM
I saw this on myspace and thought it would be a good topic. We have a lot of new Buell riders on the forum. What type of advice would you give to new riders about safety? Below is a list of the first few things that came to mind.

Black is cool, but I've always bought bright motorcycles and bright helmets. Yellow is my first choice, but I picked up my Buell and thought red would be a good second choice. I also love Buells because they can be loud with a good pipe.

Tips...

1. Bright colors for bike, helmet, clothes, etc.

2. Loud pipes...

3. Ride in the country, take back roads, avoid busy roads and Interstates at all costs.

4. GET A STEERING STABILIZER!

5. Assume no one driving a car can see you.

BuellPartsGuy
07-04-2007, 06:47 AM
6. Wear gear. As much as there is out there, there is lots of options for different looks, riders, climates, and styles of protection. Sure, its cool to look "badass" with only sunglasses on while riding and its nice to have the wind in your hair, but the gear will save your life. Trust me on this one.....

JSW07
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
7. WEAR EAR PLUGS! As much as you think your ears aren't being damaged, THEY ARE! Thak it from my Dad, he has Tenitus (constant ringing in his ear), lets just say it's hard to ignore.

MPea3
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
This is a really good page.

http://piratesk12site.net/SAFETY%7E1.htm

2Evil4U
07-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I've got a couple quibbles with #'s 2, 3 & 4.

After all my years of riding and driving, I've never heard a bike before I saw it. Loud pipes are cool, but I don't think they make much difference in safety.

Personally, I think highways are about as safe as possible. No intersections. That's where the danger is.

After 7200 miles on my Uly, I don't feel any need for a steering stabilizer. Maybe if I were doing wheelies or racing.

Anyhow, here are my additions:

8. Don't give the cage enough room to have to make a decision. In other words, if you are in traffic, don't tailgate, but stay close enough to the vehicle in front of you so people at an intersection won't think they have enough time to pull out.

9. Practice! If you're going to be squidding around at 120, you better know how to panic-stop from that speed.

10. Bright lights are good.

11. Proper maintenance is key. Tire pressures OK? Do all your lights work? Turn signals? Both brake light triggers, etc...

flyboy
07-05-2007, 04:30 AM
I always say anyone close enough can hurt you, I have ridden bikes for 35 years and don't like loud pipes but here goes a real experience, I was pulling one of my trailers home went to switch lanes almost did but I knew I heard a bike and waited and sure enough there he was in my blind spot. still won't put loud pipes on mine but they can be heard. I agree with 2evil never had a wheel wobble so maybe someone can go into detail about it.

buellxb
07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't think any of this advice can hurt you, and most of it has the potential to save your life. Keep the tips coming if anyone has additions. I think the Ulysses might take large potholes at high speeds better than my Scg.

BuellPartsGuy
07-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Why is it that everyone thinks that you have to ride wheelies and race all the time to necessitate a stabilizer? Its not strictly for aggressive riding. Lots of bikes are coming with them from the factory now.

MPea3
07-06-2007, 12:47 AM
My bike came with a steering stabilizer, and WERA requires one on Beth's race bike, but I've never really felt the need for one on most bikes. I don't suppose it can hurt though.

As far as some of the tips on the page I link to above, I don't agree with all of them, but many of them DO get you thinking, and after 30 years of riding, I'm of the opinion that the mental approach to riding is the key to safety. Constant attention to what's going on and possible problems yield safe results, and tips, whether they work for you or not in every case, help you think about those surroundings.

mrdozer2you
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I think I can sum up all the points everyone is making with, "PAY ATTENTION"!! Know your surroundings always, and watch what you and everyone around you is doing.

A guy from my town was killed on his bike a month or so ago. He was sitting at a red light, a woman in her SUV didnt stop at the light and hit him from behind full speed.
Now I do fault the woman completely, but had he been watching his mirrors he may have been able to move. Although sometimes things are un-avoidable, if he were paying attention he just might have gotten out of the way.

shl63
02-10-2008, 05:55 AM
In today,s world you HAVE to be a good driver as well as a good rider. alway's pay attention,leave yourself a way out, stay out of blind spot's,watch as far ahead of you as safely possible, keep your eye's constantly looking,assume other's don't see you. 40 year's riding over half million miles on bike's