PDA

View Full Version : Starting hesitation - 2008 XB12scg

sharur
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I have had this bike for about 4 weeks, and so far have fouled a plug on my initial startup (not knowing what not to do while starting Buell bikes). A terrible running performance was fixed by the dealer as a bad exhaust valve actuator.

Now I have a small delay between the time I hit the starter button (the click heard immediately) and before the starter motor starts to turn. The bike does promptly fire up with no problems. I have re-charged the battery completely twice. On a freshly charged battery, I notice a slight improvement in the starter response time, but only marginally. The volt-meter reading on ECMSpy shows 12.2v and on the multi-meter hooked directly to battery shows 12.7v and the volt meter climbs to 13.8 at idle.

Could someone shed some light on this problem for a novice? Could it be bad battery, or the stator not putting out enough to charge the battery? Or possibly starter motor/solenoid going bad? I am planning on taking the battery to a local autopart store to be checked.

I have experienced Brit, Jap, German, and even Czech bikes, but the Buell is one American Beauty. I found myself frequenting the garage just to admire this bike. And thanks to many fellow enthusiasts who have responded to my earlier posts.

LeFox
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
that is normal...

it's due to the cylinder being in compression cycle.

it is 600cc per cylinder, so it's alot more compared to a 4banger.

liqrnpoker
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
In the beginning I thought it was a problem too because my battery was going bad. Then I changes the battery and it was still the same. Yeah, it's normal.

sharur
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks folks! and much relieved.