PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal Canister/K&N Filter

sharur
07-22-2009, 09:53 PM
My 2008 XB12Scg is a California model, and I live in Georgia. I successfully performed a breather tube re-route and the headlight mod (thanks to this forum).

I decided to remove the charcoal canister. On the 49 states model, the gas-tank vent tube is simply vented to the atmosphere. What should be done to the tube returning back to the throttle body? Should I plug this tube shut? Or should I connect it to the tube from the gas-tank using a small coupler? In simpler terms by-pass the charcoal canister. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I installed K&N filter on the bike, but I do not have any after-market exhaust installed. Is this a waste or would it help the bike? Should the intake always be coupled with a better exhaust? Any thoughts on this matter?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Also, I installed K&N filter on the bike, but I do not have any after-market exhaust installed. Is this a waste or would it help the bike? Should the intake always be coupled with a better exhaust? Any thoughts on this matter?

It's not a waste, if nothing else it's the last air filter you'll buy for the Buell. I'm not saying its improving performance any because the intake side already flows better than the exhaust. Plus it will already be freer breathing when you install a new exhaust

kajer
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
The tube from the gas 'tank' should go to the atmosphere, yes. The tube connected to the throttle body gets capped. Simple as that.

Beware that when installing intake / exhaust mods, you might need ECU tuning to help keep your A/F ratio in line. Most mods cause the bike to run lean...

His_and_Her_Buells
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Ride it at 3500 for 15 minutes or so and the ECM should adjust. When you install an exhaust a new map should be looked into.

sharur
07-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the info, folks. These past weeks have been very educational.

Stevenc150
07-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Just in case it runs rough after doing the learn-in ride; here's the '08+ TPS Reset Procedure (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Troubleshooting/help-with-ecmspy) and then follow-up with the Learn-in ride.