PDA

View Full Version : Power output problem

rjlefevre
07-23-2009, 08:24 PM
HI,

2 Month ago I got a 05 XB9SX with 5900 miles on it. It's my first Buell, my first bike.

I only put 500 miles on top of that and since yesterday I notice that when I turn the throttle, the engine goes up in the RPMS but I don't gain speed. Then keeping the throttle in that position for a few seconds, the Rpms drop down to the normal level for the speed I'm going at and I get the acceleration.

Do you have any ideas of what I should look to solve that problem?

Thanks for your help.

Roma

fizallout
07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
sonuds like your clutch is slipping.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Yep, sounds like clutch. Make sure it is fully engaging when you let out on the lever. If cable is properly adjusted and you still have slipping it's time for a new clutch. Although 5900 miles is quite early for that unless someone was wheelieing a lot by slipping the clutch or keeping their grip around it and letting it disengage slightly.

rjlefevre
07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
NOOOOoooooo,

I'll be really bummed if I have to change the clutch after riding it only 500 miles. And I might have to let the bike in the garage until next spring when my finance look better.

Could it be the belt, slipping?

Do you guys have an idea to how much it cost to change the clutch?

Thanks for your help, it confirms my thought about the clutch acting weird. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Buellysses
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Check your adjustment before you go diving into a clutch rebuild. Grab the cable at the lever perch and try to pull it away from the perch, it should move about 1/16" without too much effort.

DL the service manual and go through the adjustment steps.

It's VERY unlikely that your belt or primary chain are slipping. You would certainly feel and hear that.

Buellysses
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Sorry, forgot this part..

Change the oil in the primary case to one of the recommended lubricants. (I use Amsoil 20w-50 v-twin oil. There are plenty of others to choose from, and plenty of threads on this forum discussing them) The guy before you may have been a bone-head and put the wrong stuff in there, you never know.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Could it be the belt, slipping?
No.

Do you guys have an idea to how much it cost to change the clutch?
I don't but I'm sure someone does. Would you DIY or take it to a shop?

DL the service manual and go through the adjustment steps.
Very sound advice, could save you money and unecessary parts replacement.

rjlefevre
07-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I will try to go throught all the adjustments, change the oil and see if it gets better.

If not, how hard is it to change a clutch if you have the right equipment, lots of time but not much knowledge in mechanics?

oxygen151
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
clutches are fairly easy to re do. I know for the buell you need a clutch puller tool or some special tool though. You can buy it at americansportbike.com. I believe you will probably only need a clutch plates??? Not sure.

fizallout
07-23-2009, 11:49 PM
i highly doubt you need a new clutch. it probably just needs an adjustment. i thought my clutch was toast when i got my bike, it was slipping and very inconsistent. changed the oil, readjusted it and its way better now. my bike has 17,000 HARD miles.

it took a few tries but i got the clutch to work just the way i wanted. the manual does not tell you to but, you need to turn the arm of the release mechanism toward the rear wheel the get the proper adjustment. took me 15 minutes to fix the clutch once i realized i was missing that step. good luck

Stevenc150
07-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Definitely download the manual by the link at the top of this page. Might not match your year/model exactly but it'll do. Hopefully adjusting it via the screw behind the clutch cover (#2 in the pic) will have it as well as the others in the manual.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090415192329_L.jpg

rjlefevre
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I did the clutch adjustment and the clutch is still slipping so I want to replace the plates.

The dealership is selling the plates both friction and drive as well as the spring for $270 and i would have to get the tool from internet. However on the web-site www.energyoneclutches.com I found the complete plate kit + the tool for $155.

Does anyone know that website, and the quality of their product? Do you think I can go with this non stock product?

Thank you.