PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick reading

JSW07
07-06-2007, 05:59 AM
So I did my first oil change yesterday and let me say, I don't know how they can let anybody drive that oil till 1600 kms, it was black as all get out and I could actually see the metal shavings in the oil...NASTY!
Anyways, I put the required amount of oil into the oil filter and swing-arm, when I check the oil level cold it reads just above "add", when I check it when it's hot it reads half way between "add" and "over full". I'm not worried about this I am just wondering if you guys find the same?

LeFox
07-06-2007, 08:24 AM
you need to check the level when the engine/oil is hot.

if cold i would say it points a bit above minimum...

JSW07
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
So I'm in good shape then right?

LeFox
07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
as long as you're between "add" & "over full" you're good.
just make sure to check it regularly ;)

JSW07
07-08-2007, 07:51 AM
How long was it for you guys till your oil consumption leveled off?...I'm at almost 1000 km's and it still seems to be eating through the oil like a banshee! Possibly I need to ride harder for a while to really seat those rings?

MPea3
07-08-2007, 12:35 PM
You may hear about as many opinions about how to break in a motor as people you talk to. It certainly doesn't seem to be as critical as it used to. I wouldn't rip it to the redline right away, and I wouldn't cruise at 5000 rpm, but I wouldn't overdo taking it easy either.

As far as oil usage, we're still figuring that out here. Beth's cg had about 200 miles on it when she bought it 7 weeks ago. She just went over 4K miles, with her last oil change at 3K. Since then she's ridden hard, including some rides through mountain twisties and a 500 mile trip on the highway at a pretty consistant 80-85mph. Running on 20/50 synthetic, we just added 2 ounces.

For an air cooled engine I think that's probably as good as it will get

LeFox
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
i've been using castrol r4 superbike oil since breakin and never had to add oil...

and i ride it hard & heavy...
the footpegs hit the ground when cornering and lifting the front wheel in 3rd without clutch is no problem (not enough for a full wheelie, though)

HOVERJOCKI
07-09-2007, 01:21 AM
If you add too much oil, where does it go? it there an excess ventas i'm not sure right now if thats the case or i have a leak.

LeFox
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
to much oil will be dropped, but it could already be to late...
damage can be cause to your engine by the time all the surplus has been spit out, not to mention that your rear tire will be riding an oil-wave :o