PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what this is?

LionBuell
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi All can you guys please help, again.

I changed the gear oil on Sunday becouse the 2nd to 3rd was harder than the others thought fresh oil would help. I found this white stuff on the inside of the primary cover looks like yougurt.
What is this and why some water like stuff as well (condensation)?
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3336_20090728043305_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3336_20090728043233_L.jpg

Also on the plug some shavings HOW serious is it? I know its bad[sad][down]

The bike has 22000km on use it every day.The color of the oil was as normal dirty oil.
Please Help.
Morne.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3336_20090725084815_L.jpg

LionBuell
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
A better photo of the plug.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3336_20090728044616_L.jpg

Thaloc
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
The foam is from water in your primary. Usually comes in thru the clutch cable tho it can come from letting your bike cool down in the cold. Condensation ya know, not even Buellers can escape science =P. That quite a bit more shavinggs than iv ever seen on my oil changes tho.

I had the foamy oil right after my first oil change of the year. That was when I was riding in the winter, I just stopped letting my bike cool down outside when its cold and it hasn't happened since.

Buellysses
07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I would assume that is the plug from the Primary, not the swingarm? When was the last time the primary fluid was changed?

I did mine last year, when I changed it again I noticed a pretty similar amount of shavings on there. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As far as the "yogurt" (which, I have to say, is cool as hell looking) just make sure you clean it out well before you refill the oil. I'd check it more often then you normally would, just to make sure you catch it early.

Replace all 3 gaskets, and the o-ring on the clutch cable to prevent water from getting back in there.

LionBuell
07-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. Would the color of the oil change if there was water in? Buellysses are some of your gears also "sticky/tight" when changing up?
Thanks
P.S. not so cool looking if its inside your pride and joy.

Stevenc150
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Your always going to have some shavings, try using Full Synthetic if you're not already, that'll help.

Washing you're bike, riding in wet weather, etc.; water can get in through the clutch cable and/or clutch adjuster boot. You can put a small amount of thick grease around the openings of the boot and it should help cut down on the amount of water getting in.
(Rubber boot slid up in pic)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090415192018_L.jpg

Buellysses
07-28-2009, 07:26 PM
The only real trouble I have is finding neutral once in a while.

But keep in mind, "sticky and tight" are very relative terms. I came from riding an 85 sportster, so no, my gearbox shifts like a dream. If you are coming from a newer metric then yes, your shifting will probably feel a little sticky or clunky. After having that garbage in there you will probably notice a huge improvement once you clean it out and put a good synthetic in.

And yeah, I would probably freak out if I found something that resembles shaving cream inside my baby!

Also, Yes, the oil will certainly change color. I have never seen anything that was that white, but you would expect any water getting in there to turn your oil foamy.

LeFox
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
foam is mixture of water & oil.

check where the cable enters your gearbox. it's a weakspot where water can enter.

LeFox
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
also, with you mileage, i would check the oilpumpdrive gear

GatorBuell
07-28-2009, 08:36 PM
It could also be the type of oil your using. If its not the recommended oil it could foam on you while in motion and starving the gears and chain of oil. Just my .2C

typhoon
07-29-2009, 01:04 AM
I use the Harley Syn in both the motor and trany. I also change both at the same time and don't run the trany longer. You will get some metal all the time. You might have a little more then normal, but with the foam, etc you had that would be about normal. If your having trouble shifing yet after changing the oil. You may need to go over your clutch adjustments, etc.

LionBuell
07-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will change to full synthetic to see if it is any better. How would i clean out the dirty oil? The oil that came out was of normal color it was not foamed it was dark brown not light in color.
The gear change only feels diffrent on 2nd to 3rd the rest changes smooth. Thanks again. Cheers Morne.

taildraggin
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Those little flashing bits won't do anything inside the primary. They precipitate out quickly and stay out of the way. Anyway, the only things you have in that case are chains, sprockets and clutch. You could put a slurry of that stuff in your primary and run for a bike's lifetime. The chain might stretch a little quicker.

If it were a Ducati, however, a fleck like that would put a side load on the crank, offset the piston and send it through the engine case and into the door of the car next to you. :D

Your foam looks unusually clean and white. Also, there seems to be lots of it. Is it soap from a washing? (Usually, foam is tan from partially emulsifying in oil and not that much of it...) Which reminds me, I have to shave.

LionBuell
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM

LionBuell
07-29-2009, 03:30 PM
If it were a Ducati, however, a fleck like that would put a side load on the crank, offset the piston and send it through the engine case and into the door of the car next to you.

LOL,LOL, so funny.

The white cream is pure white and as i said the oil is normal dirty color. I spray the bike with high pressure washer when i wash probably 3 times a month but soap wash by hand. Will change oil for synthetic on the weekend and see if it improves, and if there is more cream. It has a very sharp chemical smell to it. I think it might be from condensation we are mid winter here and the bike stands outside.

Hey LeFox is it worth while changing the pump gear and is it a DIY job?

TJBurly
03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Hey LionBuell,

New to the forum here and just reading through some old posts....

Relatively new Buell owner but have had many other bikes and would suggest that you don't use the pressure washer. They always seem to put water where it shouldn't be.

P.S. Just got back from SA and was thinking how great it would have been to have my Uly with me.

Thorivola
03-20-2010, 03:24 AM
just a note on the shavings there, that doesn't look like too much

I had probably about that much show up over 12k miles while I rode all summer and my entire transmission, clutch basket and internals, primary rotor, stator and bearings all were still in excellent shape with no unusual signs of wear; so bottom line is that isn't an unusual amount of shavings and don't give that little bit a second thought

I run syn3, just put a quart of syn3 in your primary; ride 20-30 miles; change; and repeat once more if you feel it's necessary

that should clean you up

the H-D sporty 5-speed is a beastly tough transmission, don't worry too much about it