PDA

View Full Version : Tried Ebay Cheapo Bar End Mirros

G FORCE
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
[down]

I ordered the cheapest set of bar end mirrors on eBay that I could find thinking they would be similar enough to the more expensive options. I should have know you usually get what you pay for. While they seemed of decent quality, they just weren't secure enough. The expansion pieces where they install on the inside of the handlebars never seemed to get tight enough to keep them from moving if I tried to adjust the mirror to hard. Then, when I thought I had everything aligned perfect, I start the bike and it vibrates the mirror out of place :/

Do the more expensive bar end mirrors experience this problem? They must have the same mounting design, right?

I REALLy want to get rid of the stock mirrors but dont' know what else to do. I notice a few bikes have no mirrors at all but I find myself using the mirrors quite a bit and just wouldn't feel comfortable without them.

Thoughts?

Gabe

marko138
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I have the ebay cheapos. They suck. But I've managed to get them just tight enough. I took the expansion piece apart and wrapped it in paper towels to give it a bit more material to bite. Seemed to work...although one is better than the other.

flaya564
07-28-2009, 02:59 PM
If you can find like rubber strips, that might hold them alittle better. or some of those wide rubber bands and cut and wrap.

Just a thought.

G FORCE
07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Marko, I did notice that one side fit a little better than the other. Where the mirror swivels, does it vibrate out of place? I just think the quality is not there anywhere in these mirrors.

Flaya, I thought about using some good 3M electrical tape or rubber bands to help. I'm wondering if this is typical of ALL bar end mirrors or just these cheapies cause I would be super pissed if I bought the pricey ones and they fit the same.

meetch
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I bought Oberon bar ends and they fit great... with no movement or vibration....

I was just gonna suggest wrapping the sleeve in electrical tape to tighten it up..... and maybe a drop of crazy glue to stop movement at the pivot of the mirror, maybe?

50dro
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I have the Ebay Cheapies for $25 per set...Yes the bar ends themselves are the worst part, but once they're installed tightly there is no vibration to speak of. I've managed to get them tight using a thin flat rubber band type thing over the expansion piece.

The other idea I had was to replace the expansion piece with a bar that is around the same OD as the handlebar ID, cut it at an angle so that the 2 halves slip on each other when tightened. Some bar ends work this way. It's also the way a bicycle goose-neck is designed. I think it would work great and save a few bucks too.

marko138
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
G-Force...I've got mine to the point where they do not vibrate out of place. At least not quickly. I do a touch of re-adjusting every so often but that it. But you are right, the quality pretty much sucks on these.

matter
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I have had a set of the Moto Deluxes for quite a while, when I installed them I dimpled the sleeves with a sharp punch. They tighten up as tight you want and they never move.

Matt

NOMADIC
11-24-2009, 07:07 AM
try bicycle mirrors,,,, cheap and you dont have to worries about smacking one of those oberonshttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3724_20091117164901_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3724_20091124005827_L.jpg