PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Buell 1125R Video

Darkwulfe
07-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Cycle world has an article and video posted of the new 2008 Buell 1125R.

a clip from the article:

Here’s what we do know from viewing the video. Rumors have pegged the motor as Rotax-built, and the tape does nothing to disprove that. Powerplant is listed as a 72-degree V-Twin displacing 1125cc with a six-speed gearbox. It’s obviously liquid-cooled, a first for a Buell. Horsepower is claimed as 146 bhp; that’s undoubtedly at the crank, so expect 125-130 at the rear wheel, more than enough to vault the 1125R into a whole new performance league. The addition of a slipper clutch underscores the new bike’s seriousness.

Though the footage is dark and shadowy, the familiar XB-series look is carried over. The bike appears to have a main half-fairing and a smaller shroud for the signature under-engine muffler (why change now, when the rest of the sportbike world seems to be adopting Buell’s muffler placement). Wheelbase is 54.5 inches, up 2.5 from the current XB12R. We’re told the gas-in-frame configuration is still used, though capacity has grown to 5.6 gallons. Likewise, there’s the next-generation of Buell’s rim front brake.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=398

BuellPartsGuy
07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Link doesnt work.

Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzkRAbfHI6M

XBear9S
07-08-2007, 06:58 PM
AND NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY...

Tried desperately to post about this yesterday, but my computer froze up and couldn't get the pics and links downloaded.

GRRRRRR!

Life's a lot better today. Starting with the several vid links that are floating out there. Also rumors about changes to the Ulysses. Will have to wait for that. Really wanted to be the first to post about this, but now I'm just whining. Did post pics of the new Buell. Check 'em out below...

Here's what we know for sure about the 1125R, from the vid;

1125cc 72º V-Twin

Liquid Cooled

146 HP, 84 lb-ft torque

10,500 RPM redline

6 Speed Transmission

Hydraulic Vacuum-Assist Slipper Clutch

ZTL2 Brake System

54.5" Wheel Base

Quite Zone Rider Environment (whatever that is...)

5.6 Gallons Fuel-in-Frame

1125cc 72º V-Twin

Liquid Cooled

146 HP, 84 lb-ft torque

10,500 RPM redline

6 Speed Transmission

Hydraulic Vacuum-Assist Slipper Clutch

ZTL2 Brake System

54.5" Wheel Base

Quite Zone Rider Environment (whatever that is...)

5.6 Gallons Fuel-in-Frame

Here's what one of the Buell employees had to say;

"FINALLY!! I cant even begin to express the amount of self control it took for me not to tell you guys about this thing!

The engine is a Rotax V-twin, it at least looks similar to the one in the 'priller mille. The styling is a bit off in my opinion, but what can you expect from buell?

If its still in the same state as i saw it, it will have digital gauges, turn signals in the mirrors, dual radiators on the sides (ala superhawk) behind 2 huge scoops that don't quite match up the upper fairing (looks weird in person) and no clip ons... the handlebars are part of the triple clamp (all one big piece of aluminum). The rearsets are the mounting bracket for the drive belt tensioner pulley, which means aftermarket pieces will be a bit trickey. They did away with the oil in the swingarm (thank god, it was a horrible idea if you ask me). The hydraulic clutch felt really heavy.

According to what i gathered from the drive-train guys the engine makes TONS of power, the limiting factor was emissions, so I'm guessing some re-tuning will open up even more power. There was also problems with the oil level, supposedly there are so many nooks and cranys in the engine that the oil level readings were very sporratic, the measure on the dipstick would change by a quart or two randomly.

The brakes were even bigger than the standard XB units, the wheels appeared to still be the same units (but they were already some of the best out there).

Soooo... that's about all i can remember for now, besides that the riders thought it was f**k**g AWESOME."

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/688_20070708104001_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/688_20070708103257_L.jpg

Robtk!42 a.k.a "SpecialK!"

"We shall wheelie on the beaches. We shall wheelie on the landing grounds.
We shall wheelie in the fields, and in the streets;
we shall wheelie in the hills.
We shall never surrender!"
--Winston "Buelldog" Churchill

BuellPartsGuy
07-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Just some more info... www.buell.com now has all the info on the Buell 1125R. Looks killer. I know what I am buying....

buellxb
07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
It looks like it's still the XB frame. Is this actually a Firebolt or is it going to be the beginning of a new sport line? I love the sound of a 6 speed, and the hydraulic assist clutch.

BuellPartsGuy
07-09-2007, 12:22 AM
The 1125R replaces the XB9R. They will still have the XB12R and all other normal models. Slight changes to the others are out too. They get hydraulic clutches, crank sensors, and new ECM this year

killer kane
07-09-2007, 01:54 AM
according to buell web site- 1:1 ratio in 6th...wtf...then what's the point of a 6 speed? am i missing something?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-09-2007, 02:57 AM
I'm not sure I get it either, with an engine that makes peak torque 2k rpm higher and peak HP 3k rpm higher I would have thought the extra gear would be needed down low to get the revs up sooner but the gear ratios are actually lower numerically until 4th and 5th gear (final drive is the same). This seam to me to make the engine take longer to get in its powerband, but then again we don't see the entire curve, maybe it has a broader curve that brings on fistfulls of torque early enough not to need extra gearing down low. No matter, I love the liquid-cooled, the DOHC, the 20lb weight reduction, and the 4qt oil capacity (if the air-cooled held that much oil it might not need the fan!). Once they put in a Lightning, I'll be in line to buy one.

killer kane
07-09-2007, 03:08 AM
i will get one if they offer a black frame and wheels and make 6th gear 1:.89

His_and_Her_Buells
07-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Just curious, since gear ratios are measured as x:1, do you mean .89:1 (lower rpm/mph when compared to 1:.89) or really 1:.89 (higher rpm/mph when compared to .89:1)?

killer kane
07-09-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure what the correct term or format is for stating gear ratios (Not mech. inclined) but what I mean is it would be nice to have the engine turn slower for hwy cruising than what my lightning does.(4000rpm @ 80mph)

His_and_Her_Buells
07-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Ah, yes, so .89:1 is what you would be looking for. And I agree with you, I find myself occasionally trying to shift one more time based on sound and tach but I'm already in top gear.

killer kane
07-09-2007, 05:23 AM
What do you think the 1125R top speed is?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Should be leaps and bounds above the 12R. Redline is 50% higher and the bigger intakes should be able to feed it all the way to redline. When I was younger I saw top speed on every bike I ever owned, now that I have a family I will probably never see top speed on my 12Ss let alone the 1125R when I buy one.

killer kane
07-09-2007, 08:38 AM
i know what you mean, but i live not far from Barber motor sports park and Talladega speedway so I will occasionally.

midlifecrisis
07-10-2007, 03:12 AM
My oh my. That's all I can say. Although the Niall MacKenzie video on the new minisite was nice, he's my favorite cycle journalist from my favorite mag T.W.O.
So I can't wait to read the article I'm sure he wrote from the unveiling. When can I demo this thing? Too bad I just bought my XB12R...nah, gotta wait at least one year for the bugs to be worked out. Way to go Erik.