PDA

View Full Version : repair yourself or at dealer service?

Thunderstorm
07-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Hello all, my baby is '08 XB9SX with under 5k miles, I have noticed there's oil leak somewhere on top of rear cylinder head, any common oil leak concern? it's still under warranty, but its about an hour and half from home to dealer, Should I go ahead to diag/repair it myself or take it to dealer? I'm uncomfortable with dealer working on my baby without me watching them, thanks for your input,:)

blott01
07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Mine has been leaking from the same area. My rocker box gaskets were leaking and were replaced under warranty. You could see the back of the rocker box if you remove the airbox. Dealer replaced the gaskets but the leak has continued so now they are replacing the entire rear rocker box assembly and putting another set of gaskets in. I would let the dealer tackle that service, especially if your bike is still under warranty, as it requires dropping the motor to do so and if your rocker box needs to be replaced you might as well not pay for it. I had the tech at my dealer look at the bike and they ordered the parts in ahead of time so my bike should only be down for the day.

I first noticed my leak because the cooling fan had oil all over it. Checked the underside of the frame by it and it was covered in oil. When I removed the air box and saw the rear cylinder was covered in oil it was pretty obvious.

You might have their techs check it out and if they can order your parts in ahead of time, ask if they don't mind you watching while they service it. No better way to learn than from seeing it first hand.

If they have any questions on what is involved or what needs to be ordered, my local dealership is Lone Wolf Harley Davidson in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Buell tech is Drew and is a honest guy and rides a Buell. Sure he might be able to lend a helping hand.

Thunderstorm
07-30-2009, 03:02 AM
thanks blott01, i appericated for your input, called my dealer and made an appointment for next week, it makes sense to let the professional to do the repairs than me screwing up, its 106 degrees here and riding home from work is like riding into a wall of flame,...

bellshog2
08-02-2009, 06:05 AM
has anyone thougt of crankase breathers?
corect flowing breathers may prevent the problem

Thunderstorm
08-03-2009, 06:20 AM
crankcase breather? where can I find crankcase breather? it could be the problem, I have not done breather re-rounte yet, I have read lot of Buell owners did breather re-rounte on their bikes, it may be possible when engine gets excess heat and expandition then spit out oil thru gaskets, top of cylinder is the most heat area. I have used my infared temperature gun to measure the heat on engine. I'll look into it, thanks bellshoq2

Thunderstorm
08-03-2009, 06:23 AM
by the way, will overfilled fuel in tank causes this? that frigging fuel nossle didnt shut off when fuel is coming up to top. it happened next day to oil leak..

buellet proof
08-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Overfilling the fuell tank just causes a big mess I would think. I've done that a few times on my Harley, boy was I cursing. Full throttle home to clean it up.

blott01
08-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I first noticed mine leaking after doing the breather reroute cause it never had any stuff to drain out. Don't know if it's related or not but the tech didn't say anything about and the entire line and every connection are dry. Mine just seems to not fit flush and is continuing to leak. I was told that it was okay to ride though I would keep constant watch on your oil level as mine seemed to get low very quickly