PDA

View Full Version : test rode an 1125 R today!!

Snopro440
07-30-2009, 04:22 AM
I was at a dealer getting my headlight recall done on my XB12R ( and got sparkplugs in it too). While I was there I checked out the 1125R on display there (a 2008). I was just wasting time, waiting for my bike. The salesman asks if I'd like to take the demo 1125 out. I almost didn't because I am totally happy with my Firebolt. But I figured it would beat sitting in the waiting room.. They are on a nice county road with lots of nice 35 mph corners, and a lot of rolling hills. So, I went out without expecting anything.. Oh man.. It pulls hard, really hard, but it doesn't feel like a Buell at all (motor I mean). It revs and runs more like a japaneese sport bike. The suspension was a little soft for me setting wise, but it really was nice as the road wasn't perfect. What shocked me was how well it cornered. It leaned in far easier than my 'bolt. A lot easier... I was instantly comfortable with the cornering. The riding position seemed slightly less agressive than on my bike, and the windshield was kind of a joke, it may as well have been painted black, cuz it is low enough I wouldn't have used it to see through!! It directed the wind into my upper chest, where my bike really does a better job at preventing buffeting. I really liked the power, and the handling. What wasn't I so crazy about? The motor, while powerful, seemed to feel to, well..... Asain? I know it is a Rotax from Austria (or whereever) but I like the feel and sound of the air cooled bike.. The fuel injection was weird on it too. If I was running at a constant rpm, it would kind of act odd. It felt like it was either missing (it wasn't though) or hiccuping maybe. It is a 2008, maybe there is a reflash for the ECM? And the windshield is just pointless.. It is HUGE, yet I can't see out of it, and it directed the wind at my upper body. I guess if the fuel injection was straightened out, I woulda considered buying it on the spot and buying a Zero Gravity Double Bubble for it. On the way home, I rode the same road on my bike, and I definately noticed the relative lack of power, and that it took more pressure through the bars to get it leaning. I also noticed that the 1125 was FAR more comfortable in braking while turning, as my bike tries to stand up more. All in all, the 1125 was better in most ways than I thought it would be. I had heard about the efi issues, so I kind of expected that. The power was nice ( my last bike was a ZX-10, so I can't say its a rocketship, but it definately scoots). The fuel injection was the low spot, and the handling was definately the highlight. Like I said, if the fuel injection was straightened out, I probably woulda bought it on the spot based on the handling and the power.. Maybe I will have to see what the 2010s bring to the table. I had told my wife I was going to take the 1125 on test ride, and she said she was surprised/bummed that I rolled in on my XB because she wanted me to buy the 1125R!!! Someday it seems that I will! I thought someone considering the 1125 may benefit from my impressions, hopefully so!!

shoeshineboy
07-31-2009, 12:01 AM
The hesitation you had could be because it needs a reflash. Mine does it a little when cruising @ 4,000 rpm but never while rolling on the throttle. I had an XB12R last year and they are definitely two different bikes. I do like the handling/performance of the 1125R better and the wind issue can be remedied with a double bubble screen. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. If I hadn't hit a deer and totalled my XB last year i would probably still have it. Both bikes rock.

Dragonslayer
07-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I think they're much alike when it comes to a curve. The difference I noticed (which is obvious) is when it comes to the straights. I like the XB12R better for the twisties, but maybe that's because that's what I'm so used to. I considered getting the 1125R but I'm not much for top end speed in the straights, so I decided there was no need to get one.

Tank
08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I left Deals Gap last year after being walked on by all of the I-4's, traded my XB12R for an '08 1125R, this year they never walked away, but I miss the sound of my 12, 1125R 4sale w/ D&D pipe just pay-off.

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
08-29-2009, 05:38 PM
What's the mileage and payoff Tank? ttoucansam@yahoo.com

Dragonslayer
08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
You had a 12R on the Dragon and you were walked on by the japs?
[confused]

Since you're not from here, that's OK. The japs that walked on you were likely some of the locals, or just more experienced riders.

Trust me, having the 1125R wouldn't have changed anything.

Tank
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Dragon,
It was my first trip to the Tail. Prior to that offramps were my greatest corners to conquer! Between my inexperience at the time and the fact that the 12R tops out at 6500RPMs I think I did pretty well not to out of eyesight of them. Two days later, my results were better, but they nerver had to come out of 1st (ZX10 goes 104 in 1st gear)and I was back and forth from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st. Now I am just making excuses! I wanted the newest and alleged best Buell had to offer! Good bike, fast, handles almost as well as the 12R, I really just miss the sound the 12R makes with a double outlet Econo Drummer! I miss that the most!!!!!:D

Tank
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah...the trip in May this year was another story...I got some balls right out of the box and things went a lot better. Not to mention the fact that now I have almost double the available revs and more HP, okay, so I lost a little torque...but I satyed right with the Yapp-os this year. As my twisty skills increase, maybe it will be them looking at my 6 o'clock!