PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mod kit for the headlights?

Gunfreak
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I ride a 2005 XB12S, and I'm getting tired of all the "You have a headlight out" comments. Does anyone make a kit that converts the headlights to dual filament, so that both can be on at the same time for low and high beam?

Thanks.

http://www.serbu.com/images/wheelie.jpg

buellxb
12-10-2006, 07:15 PM
I get the same comments. It doesn't bother me too much, but it would be kind of cool to have them both on. Maybe two lights would pull on the battery too much. Other than that I don't see a good reason for the way they're set up.

BuellPartsGuy
12-10-2006, 10:26 PM
I just cruise with my high beams on at all times. People can deal with a little blind light for the short time they see me, but hey at least they see me. Better safe then sorry......

Gunfreak
12-11-2006, 04:01 AM
BuellPartsGuy...what year do you have? On mine, low beam is the right headlight, high beam is the left. The only way to get both on at once is to hit the momentary switch on the "trigger" position on the left grip.

Buellxb, I'm sure they set 'em up the way they did is because it's cheaper and easier. It would be nice to have an option to make it a "normal" setup, with both lights on at all times. It's probably more involved that just dual filament bulbs and a slight wiring change, too. Probably have to change the reflector. I'd bet someone could make a few bucks on this in the aftermarket world!

BuellPartsGuy
12-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Mine is an 03 XB9R. Both my headlights come on on the high beam.

azsnow
12-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Gunfreak, I am almost positive that both headlamps are supposed to come on when the high beams are activated, you may have a bad connection or filament. On every XB Buell I have seen, (2003-2007)all models, this is the case.

RaceBizz
12-12-2006, 03:05 AM
No, only one comes on. What did my original reply get deleted becaused I referenced 2 other sites in it? Whats up with that???????? Yes, all sites that relate to Buells may be posted as they relate to topics aside from other Buell forums. If you've learned something on another forum please feel free to share the knowledge in your own words.

2Evil4U
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I haven't dug around much, but I did a similar mod on my '03 Stratus R/T. I added three relays in the lights circuit and it allowed the fog lights to function normally on low beam while keeping the lows, fogs and highs on when you put it on high beam. I'll figure this one out and post a circuit diagram so you can do it yourself. (Although, I'd wager someone else has already done it somewhere.)

& AZ, the stock setup is low on the right, high on the left, the two never come on simultaneously unless you pull in the "please pull out in front of me" trigger. (AKA the flash to pass switch.)

azsnow
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
I guess its only on the Firebolt that both come on. I have a buddy with a 2003 XB9S, must be a euro model. I drive with the high beams on all of the time here in AZ, people here don't watch for scooters! I would rather ride in San Diego during rush hour, than any time day or night here!

BuellPartsGuy
12-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Loud pipes save lives! [smirk] lol jk

maybebuell
12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
gunfreak nice pic of the wheelie...have you been riding the bike stock since 05....usually what I'm told if the exhaust is changed and keep stock airbox and filter you don't have to remap the efi

Gunfreak
12-14-2006, 05:35 AM
maybebuell...Glad you like the pic. My friends liked it but gave me crap for not wearing a helmet. I usually wear one, but didn't for the pic. Big deal. Anyway, yes the bike is totally stock until tomorrow. The dealer's installing the race kit. It's $900-something installed with tax and everything. (Having it dealer-installed means the warranty is still good.) Hopefully it'll keep me entertained until the XB14S comes out. :D

Hawaiian XB9S
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
XB14S you say? Any more info? Back to the subject. I to am getting the "you got a headlight out" bit. I almost got a ticket from a highway cop because he had never seen a XB9S before.

Hawaiian XB9S
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
If it can be done I would do any mod and then tell everyone how it works (test mule sorta deal)

irace22
12-29-2006, 09:55 PM
All you need to do is remove the fly screen and find the Blue and Yellow wires in the headlight wiring. Unplug the connector and use a Scotch or Splice Lock that you can pick up at any auto parts store to connect the two wires.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Buellbomb/xbfix2.jpg

This accomplishes a simple bypass of the switch that turns the low beam off when the high beams are on. You will have the low beam only in low and both beams on in high.

irace22
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM
To add to my previous post above, on all Lightnings, the right headlight only is on for low beam, and the left headlight only is on for highbeam.

You can put the connector on either side of the plug.

This is a Scotch Loc Connector
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rcchre/files/Cat/HRE/Cords_wire/Connectors/DR_B1760.jpg

JMass
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Dudes, my first post on your forum, just found it a few minutes ago.
Name is Justin, from Johannesburg South Africa.
Been riding the 9SX for the last year and a bit, 30 000km's on the clock, love the baby, she is a rice eater.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand.

Only the Lightnings will throw both lamps on, not the S's. Cheapest solution, play with the rocker switch that activates your highbeam/brights, rock it till it sits in the middle, it will stay there and keep both lamps on. Go one further and install two H7 SilverStar bulbs if you really wanna see her shine :D

Buellbomb
01-18-2007, 12:31 PM
When using the scotch-lock, as I did above, I always put some dielectric grease in, to try to keep corrosion away.

Swordsman
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Only the Lightnings will throw both lamps on, not the S's

Funny, last time I looked, Lightnings were S's. ;)

There are a couple of ways to get both lights to stay on. One is the jumper method described above.

I can't vouch for the R models, but on the S models, if you'll take off the flyscreen and look at the light wiring harness, you'll see a set of wires running to a small plug-looking thing between the headlights. On the European models, this would be a mandatory running light, but in the US it's not used. However, the constant power is still there. I've heard of several people on the Net simply using those wires for the low beam so it stays on all the time, then using the switch to activate hi beam when you need it.

~SM

fahren
03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
old thread, i know - but no one here seems to have tried a headlight modulator device. I will be installing one from a company named "Kriss" - they make a unit for bikes that have 2 separate high/low lamps, like our buells. Both lights are on low for low beam; both are on for high, but the high beam is brighter; then you can make the high beam lamp flash (modulate) to be noticed more (legal in all 50 US states, but no idea about overseas...). The modulation feature can be turned off with a switch - I'll probably try to find a switch that will fit into the spot where the "flash to pass" switch is, since that feature probably won't work (and doesn't need to if I can just turn on the modulator instead).
Here's the link to the mfgr:
http://www.kriss.com/h7illuminator_mod.php

Odin
03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Plenty of threads where the wiring has been modified (i've done that) i can't see how the constant modulation would be legal. somehow that'd be an annoyance or something

ophawk
03-13-2009, 01:21 AM
If you are going to use a splice connector, I would recommend using a T-Tap from scotch they are a ton easier and look much neater when complete.
I also ride with running Lights, PIAA 1100X's on all the Time,
I always get the your "Brights are on Sign" from people, I give them the You See Me, Then a Thumbs up, and ride on.

MAGIC
03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
This is the easiest way to make both lights running at all time [thanks to Speedkills and GatorBuell]:
Click it! (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Headlight-Mod---Both-Lights-On-w-Hi-Beam)

You have to run your high beam at all time to have them both on, but isn't it what "Motorcycle operator manual" recommends? Quote:"Use of the high beam during the day increases the likelihood that oncoming drivers will see you".

kajer
03-13-2009, 04:00 AM
old thread

there was a newer thread where I made a few diagrams and talked about being able to flash the light while both were on or only one.

search functions are awesome

dave_xb12r
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Damn that was hard to find [sad]

http://www.czarkahan.net/kajer/firebolt-relay.png

RyBuell
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Do what MAGIC says, its the first mod most do. I've had it done for about 8 months with no problems.