PDA

View Full Version : Swapped mufflers and the fuel pump is dead

joegriff1996
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I live in the burbs and most of my neighbors get up later for work than I do so at the request of the neighbor who's a state trooper, I complied.

I had Odie's Special OPS exhaust on my 2003 xb9s with 5000 miles. Only other mod was the breather reroute for here.

I reinstalled the stock exhaust. I let it idle for about 10 minutes to show the neighbor it's real quiet now.[mad] He was satisfied and I took the bike out. 1 mile down the road in 3rd I can hear the bike sound like it's choking for fuel and then it dies. I tried restarting twice, but I should have know nothing would happen because I didn't hear the fuel pump start up. So any guess on what I should do next?

xtremelow
08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Pull your relays and put them back in, the starter relay that the pump runs off is probably stuck. This should work if not you probably just have a bad relay.

gbalias
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
very strange....start with the obvious though

and thats ridiculous the neighbor complained. sux.

i dont think i would have changed it back.

only1reds
08-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Dude that sucks ass. But hey, he/she is a state trooper and to avoid any future targeted confrontation, in my opinion I think that was the best move.

Sorry about the issue though, maybe a fouled plug possibly? Not sure other than the fuel pump.

joegriff1996
08-06-2009, 12:57 AM
xtremelow, that's for the advice. I pulled the relays, and swapped them around. Still no pump. I guess I'll have to pick up a new relay tomorrow. I still wish I knew why switching exhaust would cause my fuel pump to fail.

About the neighbors, if it wasn't for the cop, I'd still be using Special OPS. Odie does great work and the exhaust note is exactly what the xb9 should sound like, not some muffled wuss. Only problem, I had the decibels checked and OPS was around 125 dB, where the legal level should be 99 dB. So, if I didn't change back, it was only a matter of time before he was going to pull me over.

gbalias
08-06-2009, 01:50 AM
i dont think changing the exhaust is what caused it unless you pinched a wire somehow or something along those lines.

you can open the relay and see if it switches. theres gonna be a coil in there that activates when power is supplied. it causes a mgnetic field to close the circuit and allow the current to go the the proper component.

if you watch it with the cover off and nothing moves, check to be sure youre getting power TO THE RELAY with a volt meter. if you are, then the relay is suspect. if the relay DOES move the pump is suspect.

your neighbor would be a jackass for giving you a ticket for that. that sucks man.

xtremelow
08-06-2009, 03:57 AM
If you swapped relays around and it didnt do anything the relays are NOT bad. I would chck your wires over, hell the pump may have just been unplugged when you were swapping the muffler.

The plug is on the bottom of the frame on the left side between the frame and swing arm.

gbalias
08-06-2009, 04:16 AM
****....didnt see the swap part.

calm down! :p

hahahaha jk.

joegriff1996
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll check the plug when I get back from work tonight. Extremelow, thanks for the advice. Hopefully, it's something easy.

joegriff1996
08-07-2009, 01:59 AM
So this is more puzzling than when I first started. I checked for loose wires and could not find any. I can here the rely clicking. I turn off the ignition, then back on again, hit the kill switch, and by the biker gods, the pump is now priming. Thank god, so I think. I strap on my gear and take the bike out. Just as I turn the corner, the bike starts sputtering, and it seems like it's going to stall at anytime. So, I turn back around and as soon as I hit the driveway, it dies again[mad][confused]. What the f**k! I toggle the kill switch and the pump won't prime again. I think I might have to bite the bullet and head over the stealership. Can anyone shed some light before I fork over a boatload of cash?

gbalias
08-07-2009, 03:15 AM
get a tester on the leads going into the pump. see if at least it is/isnt getting power when it should be priming.

should help rule out damaged wires downstream of the switch and relay.

then go from there.

xtremelow
08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Check your ground wires. If loose at all many crazy problems can come about.

If by chance the dealer says you need a new fuel pump, I have a used one I will sell for cheap.

joegriff1996
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone for their advice. It makes it a lot easier to figure out with some support. God! I hate electrical problems.

Update:
I unplugged every wire and cleaned connectors and applied some dielectric grease to be safe. Checked ground wires and ecm harness.

The Good:
Something must have been loose. I now have power back to the fuel pump.

The Bad:
I hookup my ecmSpy to reset TPS and checked for troubleshooting codes.

I am getting back IAT sensor is either short or open.

How do I test for either problem? Hopefully, I can get her back on the road this week. I can't believe that swapping mufflers can cause all these problems. My old HD Dyna and Honda VFR never a problem. I guess this is cost of wanting to be different. Thanks for the help. Joe

xtremelow
08-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Some brake cleaner on the IAT sensor maybe all you need to get the oil off it, allowing proper readings???? Just an idea, had a similar problem with the MAF sensor on my truck, cleaned it and bam problem fixed.

joegriff1996
08-21-2009, 03:25 PM
All is well with IAT. Sprayed some electrical cleaner on the IAT and problem solved. Thanks all for your help.