PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Buell M2 Front Rotor Question

TheDude
08-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey All- Does the front brake rotor on M2 supposed to be somewhat loose or "floating"? I am new to this bike but notice the alan bolts and nuts which hold the rotor on the hub, have some play in them. I tried tightening both the nut and alan head and they seem to be fully tight however there is still some play in them?

Any help is appreciated

aaronbuell
08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
That was a problem with the older 6 bolt front rotor setup, they updated them to a 9 bolt later. I have to upgrade my 98 s3 to the newer set up. Keep and eye on it. Americansportbike.com sells the newer set up if you need to see a picture.

ik97m2
08-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Ya i have the exact same bike and my rotor seems real loose but i had some friends familiar with this model buell tell me it is normal and wont do any harm. I have had use the front brake hard many times and haven't had a problem

martinwill
10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
replace the front rotor with ebc dic MD734RS

ophawk
10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Eventually the carrier hub will fail, the material will fatigue and the rotor will no longer be attached. just the caliper holding it in the correct location.
It is best to replace it. Take that from experience, Mine failed, pulled the wheel off and the disc itself dislodged from the hub, picked the newer style, and was never happier.
Later

kalali
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
There is a reason they call them "Floating" rotors. A small amount of play is absolutely normal. Check the FSM for the allowable amount of play. Sorry don't remember the figure off-hand.