PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Problems

slomo2
08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey all,
This is my first post on the buell fourm. I recently bought a 2003 xb9 with 8800 miles. Lately when i accelerate the bike has been sputtering in the low rpm range. Finally today, when i was accelerating i heard a singular knock and temperarly lost power.[sad]
It only happened for a sec before the bike kicked back in and took off.

Anyways, if anyone has any idea what the problem could be i would appreciate any advice.
thanks

Point_Doc
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Have you done a service on the bike?

Plugs, filter(air, oil), TPS reset, fluids(motor/trans).

slomo2
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Not yet, i guess that would be the first step.
ill get it done by tomorrow and give the update. btw do u know the part number for the ngk plugs.

Point_Doc
08-13-2009, 12:01 AM
DCPR9EIX Iridium Plugs- One heat Range Cooler.
DCPR9EA Normal Plug- One heat Range Cooler
DCPR9VX9 Platinum Plug- One heat Range Cooler

I believe the recommended heat range is "8". Just replace the "9" with "8".

Stevenc150
08-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Grab the free download using the "Buell Service Manuals" link at the top of this page if you haven't already. Replace Engine & Primary oils with Fully Synth. Motorcycle oils. The Iridium NGK plugs that Doc gave above are great.

You can find the Breather Re-route link in here: New Bueller Info (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/for-the-new-buellers-here...). If you've not done the re-route yet, it'll help some with the low RPM stumbles & coughing.

Oh and http://users.telenet.be/mdr/fun/smiley/welcome.gif to the Board.

slomo2
08-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Steve.

The bike had a few mods done to it before i bought it. It has an open air box, K&N filter, Full Micron Exhaust, Race Ecu, and rebreather mod. I think he said AL at American Sport B set up the map for him.

Are there any other mods that i need to do?

Also, will a TPS reset ruin the map that is currently running?

Stevenc150
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Sounds like you've got a nicely modded bike. It may be that some fresh high octane gas, new plugs, servicing, and maybe a TPS reset should have you golden.

And Congrats on the bike, sounds like a great setup. [up]

spymac
08-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Deja vu, its my first post when I got my buell! I had the same problem, people recommended the same stuff, and it ended up being my fuel pump. I had hesitation on acceleration, partial and full throttle and almost constant stuttering. Fuel pump fixed everything!

onelogue
08-13-2009, 05:13 AM
spymac

+1 on looking out for a fellow Bueller with the same problem. Lets hope this is the problem. Good luck slomo2, you are in the right place.

slomo2
08-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Ok, well ill try the easy stuff first but i guess i better start looking for a fuel pump too.

LeFox
08-13-2009, 07:53 AM
do a full service, will not help your problem, but it's always the best thing to do when buying a used bike.

does this happen when cold/warm/hot?

slomo2
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Well i guess i have to wait for Cycle gear to get spark plugs in. ill post after i do a full service.

Lefox,
It mostly happens after its warm, maybe hot.

Point_Doc
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
The reason why I recommend a service call is the same reason why I perform a full service on any new vehicle that I have acquired is to establish a base line for the vehicle.

slomo2
08-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Well i finally did it. Changed the fluids with synthetic, new spark plug wires and iridium plugs. And the bike runs the same. I guess the fuel pump would be the next logical step. I wish there was still a guru out there making custom maps.:(

dave_xb12r
08-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Dang, you put synthetic in right before you need to drain it to pull off the swing arm to get to the fuel pump.

Don't worry, mike will be back

LeFox
08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
is it a knock or a cough?

difference...knock would be engine (mechanic problem), cough would be air/fuel or ignition problem

fahren
08-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, before ripping open the bike to attack the fuel pump, I would stay with simpler things: you mentioned doing several things, but did you do the tps reset? Did you check the plug wires for damage? Have you checked the condition of your battery and the condition/tightness of leads to battery and grounds? Any other chafed wires visible? These are pretty painless, free checks, and although it could be your fuel pump, I would hate to see you go into that if the problem is way more basic and cheap to fix. Also, low miles for an '03, so it's very possible that the you got the bike with an original battery that could certainly be ready for a change after 6 years.