PDA

View Full Version : Why Buell XB12R over GSXR or other Foreign Model?

shooter4886
07-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Just looking for some honest advice from those that have already lived the sportbike scene.
Why should I buy a Buell Firebolt XB12R say over a Suzuki GSXR1000 or other foreign model?

06xb9r
07-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, my Buell is the first bike I have owned but I bought it instead of a Japanese bike because of the styling, the handling, the sound, and the fact that it's made in the good ol' USA. I just think they have more attitude than the Japan bikes.
Also, tons of low end torque...good if you're riding on the street.

buellxb
07-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Hmmm, many reasons. How about the fuel-in-frame and center, lower mounted exhaust for a lower center of gravity. Short wheelbase for better handling. More attitude, more torque. Not to mention the lightest front end of any production sport bike.

Most foreign sport bikes sound like they're powered by my little sister having a tea party with her dolls on crack.

With the right pipes you can put almost all other sport bikes to shame. The final reasons would have to be styling and the fact that they're American made sport bikes.

hottoddy69
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
A better comparo is a Honda RC51 and the Buell XB12R. I love my '07 XB12R but, wish I had a 6th gear.

BuellPastor
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I think both are great bikes, but for me the Buell is so much better for real world use. I am not a racer and so the Buell is so much more fun. With the GXer and the like, you have to get to 4 or 5000 RPMs to where the fun starts, by that time you are breaking the law and close to serious trouble (if caught)..... with a Buell the fun starts by 2000 RPMs and continues up till redline. The sound, the style,low-end grunt, the Brakes! and Reliability of Buell are great - I just came off of a serious Jap Bike and the stares I get on my Buell are incredible. Harley guys, Jap guys, everyone loves a Buell, but I am one of the few around. When you think of a Buell think of a 250GP bike with a 1200 motor. My steering is quicker than any 600 CC, but yet, the Buell is much more stable at xpressway speeds. Oh yea, I also get great gas mileage to boot.

shooter4886
07-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Now, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. THANKS 06xb9r, buellxb, BuellPastor, hottoddy69 (any idea if Buell Firebolt will ever have a 6th gear).
I am test driving a firebolt next week. Was on a GSXR1000 yesterday & TOTALLY agree w/ what BuellPastor was saying. Felt too fast when getting the rpm's up so high.

Keep the feedback coming please!!!!!!!!!

midlifecrisis
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
55 lbs of torque OFF IDLE! Over 50MPG. American made.
Usable, streetable powerband. Almost never need to downshift. Valves don't need expensive maintenance. 50 year old proven engine. Handles so well it knows what I want it to do almost before I do. This from a 40 year old ex-Harley rider with over 45K miles in the saddle. Enjoy whatever you ride.

LeFox
07-13-2007, 09:21 PM
one thing...

do a testdrive and you'll know :o

1000rrider
07-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I have a 1000rr 2006 and a xb12r that my cousin gave to me. I can tell u the main diff between them.
The xb12r is made for humans, the 1000rr is not. lol it might sound funny but its true. The rr is too quick is its more work than fun. Even a 600rr is more fun because u dont have to watch the throttle all the time. But the 600 u have to keep revving high. The xb is so quick esp from a stop. Its surprising. u dont have to redline to feel it go.
I think If u like riding esp in the city and in traffic get a xb, if u want to drag race get a 1000cc bike.

mrdozer2you
07-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I think If u like riding esp in the city and in traffic get a xb, if u want to drag race get a 1000cc bike Well yes and no. The Xb drag times are very comparable to any import bike. An average rider could run 12's all day long on a XB, a better reaction time could put him/her into the 11's easy. My 600 CBR ran mid 11's.
I think it all comes down to personal preference, and what you want to get out of it. If you want to do 160+ MPH then dont get a Buell, because it just wont do it. If you want a nice ride, superb handling, and raw "get up and go" power then by all means join the club.[up]

buellfiend
07-15-2007, 05:55 AM
I can tell you exactly why...

When I first saw the bike... I knew it was for me. Plain and simple.

All of the other things people have mentioned above are very true and good reasons to consider the bike. But at the end of the day- what is it you want. Another cookie-cutter rice bike or something that fits your personality.

shooter4886
07-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks gang for all the info. Test drove a 2007 yesterday driving it for over an hour & putting on 60 miles. The dealership had a 2008 Artic White & Blue that just came in & was still wrapped in plastic (I LOVE that color). Anyway, just LOVED THE BIKE!!!!!!

Noticed on the right side of the bike, that they changed the cover from saying "firebolt" to "Thunderstorm 1203 East Troy, WI USA"

Anybody see a reason for the change (I think it is awesome)? All the decals on the bike still say Firebolt.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/749_20070720062624_L.jpg

2Evil4U
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
The timing cover was changed because of the oil pump drive upgrade for '08. I think that is what gives the bike the additional 300 RPM to redline. Not sure why they don't put the name on it though.

2Evil4U
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
That being said, I'm kinda stunned that they already have an '08 on the floor.

LeFox
07-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Not sure why they don't put the name on it though.

think instead of refering to the model, with the new engine on the 1125r, they started to refer to the egine used on the models.

BuellPastor
07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Shooter - wow. 60 miles test ride! That is incredible. I do love that color also.....
I have to tell you guys that I just got off my Buell XB12S (Ive owned for 2 weeks) and it was one of the funnest rides ever. I've owned 4 bikes, ridden many, many more and the Buell is by far the best. I rode in twisties, epressway, by a river, etc. I can't believe how stable this thing is on the expressway and I just came off of a FJR 1300! If the Lord keeps me here, I will be on a Buell for a long time.
If anyone is near C FL buy your bike from Mike at Seminole on 17-92. The guy is straight up and rides a Buell. Has for 4 years. I'm trying to talk 2 of my buddies into Buells. What a blast. [up]:D

LeFox
07-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I just got off my Buell XB12S (Ive owned for 2 weeks) and it was one of the funnest rides ever

glad to hear that [up]
fun is what it's all about!

jsg
07-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Shooter, let's put it this way. I use to own a 97 gsxr750 ands the first time I tried a buell it was a 2001 X1 and I wanted to trade my bike right away for the Buell but couldn't afford it at the time since the X1 here were 16k, since then I have been wanting a xb12s and this year is the year with a 08 xb12s when they will show up. I love the low torque of those motor on the highway at 140km/h if I want to speed up quick I don't have to down shift 2 gear like I use to on the gsxr, the Buell just go right away even in fifth.

Like others said it all depend on what you want to do, crotch rockets are tons of funs but a illegal speeds where the Buell are all the same fun and more at all speed except over 200km/h

shooter4886
07-21-2007, 03:21 AM
I went back to the dealership today & already inquired about financing, etc. and when I had to place the order for the bike to have it delivered in April 2008. The sales gal already had my nmae down on the list before I even got in to the office.
She's been selling bikes for a long time, and must of just seen my face yesterday & realized I was going to buy one.

warrenrx
07-28-2007, 11:48 PM
I agree with a quote a read a few minutes ago. That is something I rarely do is agree. Just kidding I love to talk bikes and have owned just about one of every kind trying to find my niche. I finally have, but now I have to go back and rebuy a bike to get what I want. I started out years ago on dirt back in the early 70's then moved to street. Street bikes definately rule to me. I have bought and sold six bike in the past year alone. My favorites have been two one of which I still own and one I am going to buy back this fall. My favorite for cruising and touring is my dyna streetbob. I have owned dresser bikes, V-rods, and Heritage springers, but I love the weight, ride, and handling of my dyna. As for sportbikes I miss my XB12R something terrible and selling it last year was the worst mistake I ever made. It was bought and paid for I dont know what I was thinking at the time. I sold it and bought a Suzuki Hayabusa. Oh my was that a fast freaking bike, nothing on earth I had ever been on cam close to the speed that bike would run stock. It would take your breath down the dragstrip, but handled less than adequate to me because I missed flicking my Buell into the turns on the mountain roads where I live. Now the Busa had plenty of torque, but it was unpredictable as heck. Sometimes it would take off perfect, other times it snapped your neck off. I figured I had better sell it before I killed myself at 160+ MPH with no fear at all. I had lost respect for the bike. Thats a bad thing to do. I sold it and now have the itch for a 2008 model Buell. Just waiting on my dealer to get a white one in. I called them today and they are going to hold one for me and call as soon as it comes in. I look forward to riding this fall on the Parkway in the Blueridge Mountains of VA. Buells roll in ever situation, they are well built, have great centers of gravity, and pretty much never surprise you when you roll the throttle. Ride on friends and be safe.

shooter4886
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Has anybody driven a Triumph Daytona series bike? What is the comparison of that vs the Firebolt?

LeFox
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Has anybody driven a Triumph Daytona series bike? What is the comparison of that vs the Firebolt?

fun bike...

just try this:
any jap (they are all more or less the same), a 3 cylinder (like triumph), a buell

asking for opinions on bikes will only add confusion & doubt. everybody wants/likes different things...

midlifecrisis
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
My understanding of the Daytonas is that they lack the stratospheric HP of the Jap 4's yet have more torque available. It seems that the handling and braking are on par with the Jap bikes. The Triumphs are closer to what we all appreciate about our Buells, but they AIN'T Buells.

devildog3042
11-05-2007, 01:03 AM
american made, awesome low end torque, no other bikes on the road like them, and the other day at the auto hobby shop with a couple of my buddies that ride a gixxer and a cbr, my xb9r got all the looks. its a great feeling knowing my bike is such a head turner, especially when people do a double take when they hear it and think its a harley cruiser before they see me. gotta love the throaty roar when you crank the throttle. never fails to put a smile on my face. also love how stable it is at triple digit speeds. i didnt buy it for speed...i would have bought a gixxer if thats what it was about...but its just so user friendly and stable that sometimes i dont even realize how fast im actually going till i look down at the speedo and it reads 110. its amazing how well the XBs handle. the cornering is seamless too. just today i was riding down a road called 9 mile road...9 miles of twisties...anybody around jacksonville or havelock, nc that rides probably knows this road intimately...and a guy on a cbr passed me on one of the straights but when he came up on a curve he slowed down for it and i didnt. i passed him in a curve and just watched his bike get smaller and smaller in my mirrors the more curves i went through. when we got to the end of the road and i pulled into a gas station he came up and commended how well i was taking the corners, and i told him it wasnt me, it was the bike. when you lean over and start rolling the throttle, the bike pulls you through the corner. its awesome. i love my bike. thats why i bought a buell instead of a ricer.

kpgonzo
11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
The change also comes from not having a cam position sensor anymore. No more having to adj the tps. The ECM and crank position sensor do all the timing for ya. Much improved over 2007 and earlier

sbkal07
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
The Firebolt is a different animal than a replica bike. The weak link is the engine (flame on, dudes). Its strength lies in its chassis design. Eric Buell is a visionary and his current design has proven to be sound. I love the handling and awesome torque of my '05 XB12R, but sadly, it quickly runs out of steam when the road straightens out. If you are not concerned with a blistering top end, then a Buell is a respectable, if somewhat lacking, sportbike. A sportbike is like a sports car in that it is designed to do everything well, correct? The Japanese race reps are the closest thing to achieving that balance. In 12 years of street riding, I have owned a '93 GSXR 750, '98 ZX9R, '02 GSXR 1000. All superb machines in both handling, acceleration, and high speed. I bought my XB because I have always been intrigued by the design. I didn't think I would miss the high HP of a race replica, but I do. It is an essential component of a proper sportbike. As for the comment that the acceleration is roughly equal to a Japanese sportbike, I think that is misleading. An XB12R will run with a 600cc in-line four (you might even win a few against older models), but you will just embarass yourself if you try to out drag a litre bike. In the twisties, well, skill has a great deal to do with whether or not you are faster than a Japanese bike. I'm still feeling out my XB. I have been told to ride it like a 250 GP bike by carrying a lot of corner speed. Not quite sure I still have the fear suppression I did ten years ago to master that technique! LOL My advice is to borrow a few bikes(if you have really trusting friends) and ride them! It's your money. Buy what makes you happy. :)

PAIRTBOW
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
dependin on where u live partner the buell is good for places with lots of corners n mountains if yer a straightline fast guy then japs r good it all depends ive riddin just about all there is to ride n theres always a certain place that each bike exels its so hard to ride a friends bike to try it out these days but ask around go to big shows where they do demo rides n check it all out man i cuurently own a xb12r a suzuki chopper an old honba cb road bike amung a few others for all different rides so depending on yer favorite kind of riding its up to u i put 13000 miles on my buell cuz ilove corner n the low end torque that makes that bike exel where i live in upstate new york good luck with yer search

justice720
06-13-2008, 06:26 PM
there's alot of feeback here and basically I'm just gonna chime in..

basically, the buell is better suited to daily drivers with a serious competitive streak in it.. it's easier to maintain, cheaper to maintain, more distinguished, and less likely to get stolen. [up]

I've had a duc and now I'm ridding a buell because I just love the twins. they seam more suited to real world driving than the jap bikes. If you're the kinda guy who only hops on his bike to fly down the freeway weaving in and out of traffic on bike nights then buy a jap bike and save us the embarrassment. not that I can't keep up with those guys I run with an 08 R1, and an 08 k14 and they don't exactly loose me. the 600s are a much better competitors.. but as far as real world driving and twisties there's just no comparison those guys get left in my dust. due to 100% ball busting American torque derived deep within the belly of the beast. [up]

justice720
06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
whoops! I just saw how old this topic was.. I must be bored.. my bad