PDA

View Full Version : Polishing headers

mrdozer2you
07-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Does anybody know if this is possible? That greeny-gold just isn't doing it for me. I dont want to get them powdercoated, i'd rather muscle up and do it myself :D. If it is possible. Any suggestions would be great [up]

BuellPartsGuy
07-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Jet Hot coating seems to work the best

mrdozer2you
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
And that is what? Not something I can do myself?

BuellPartsGuy
07-14-2007, 07:44 PM
No you would have to send it out to a shop that does it or some places online have exchange programs. As far as polishing your stock, its just stainless steel, most normal polishes will bring out some shine with a little elbow grease

mrdozer2you
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Hmm, I was thinking of sanding it down with 600-1000 grit, then polishing afterwards. I know the blue discoloration will come back but I can live with that. As far as the jet hot, it looks good but I bet it costs a load, and will the blue come back on that as well?

BuellPartsGuy
07-14-2007, 08:09 PM
They blue will not come back with jet hot but it is a little spendy. Like I said, if you can find a place that does an exchange, its usually a little cheaper. But a little elbow grease goes a long way

mrdozer2you
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok, so how about painting them? I have a high temp flat black paint that I think would work. It will hold up to 1000 degrees. What ya think??

LeFox
07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
hd also has a series of exhaust paint.

although it will wear off after time and pretty fast near cilinder fittings.
but it does look nice...

here's a picture:
http://www.americanlifestyle.be/pictures/buell-used-bikes/027.jpg
bike looked very cool in that army green :p

mrdozer2you
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah it looks sweet, but what does a can of that go for? I bet I have the same thing at my shop for $5.99 a can

LeFox
07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
don't have a clue, will ask him and let you know.

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah that would be cool thanks. The paint I have is used for Bar-B-Q's and fireplaces, but it says it will withstand temps up to 1000F. Anyone know the temps the pipes get up to? I've got no clue but it feels pretty hot to me, definitely not 1000F though.

LeFox
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM
most exhaust/header spraycans have a protection of 1200/1500°C published on the label.
(that's about 2180°F, 1750°K)

atleast those i found on the net...

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Any ideas how hot the headers on our bikes get? I can't imagine that they get up to 2180F. It just seems too hot. The wires and plastic's are too close, not to mention the gas tank!! If my headers were running that hot I would be afraid my pants would burst into flames, or worse, the bike becoming a rolling bomb!!

LeFox
07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
ok, i think i must have read wrong. the cans must have been in °F

according to the table on this site (http://www.performancecoatings.com/benefitdata.htm), header surface temp goes to max 930°F and i've never seen my headers that red :p

twistedengineering
07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
The only spray can paint that I have found to stand up to header heat is the DEI Wrap Coating Paint. Its for use on exhaust wraps, however it also works as a standalone paint. I wrapped my headers in black header wrap and it looks good. Works well too, keeps the frame/tank from getting really really hot on summer days.

LeFox
07-26-2007, 07:14 AM
header wrap and it looks good. Works well too, keeps the frame/tank from getting really really hot on summer days.
to bad it also keeps the humidity on the header and results in faster corrosion.

twistedengineering
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah maybe they will rust too, or turn green like the statue of liberty, oh wait only copper does that.... Who cares if they corrode? They are wrapped for now and looks better then the stock (gold) deal.

LeFox
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
dozer, maybe ceramic coating is an option? ok it is pricy but:
- it doesn't fade
- it doesn't burn
- less heat
- power increase (when inside is also done)

the price for the hd paintcan is about 10$. that's converted from euro, so it should be cheaper in the u.s.

XBear9S
07-28-2007, 02:14 AM
- it doesn't fade
- it doesn't burn

Actually,
My bud James had his done in blue which is/was SWEET!
...but it did fade and burn. [down] Turned sorta ashy after a while.
I like(d) it :D, but he wasn't happy. [mad]
So you gotta be careful about what yer buyin'.
It ain' all the same....

Robtk!42 a.k.a "SpecialK!"

"I dreamed I rode my Buell the other day...
and it was Wicked Ass!"
--Buellhole Surfers

mrdozer2you
07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I'll figure somethin out, got my winter projects lining up. Well see how it all goes.

List as of now:

1. New seat. Corbin Gunfighter or mod the stocker, ( rather do it myself ) [up]

2. License plate re-locate. Definitely doin it myself [up]

3. Polish/paint headers. Jet hot is a possibility but I need more feedback from people who have done it. Or i'll paint it myself [up]

4. New turn signals, too many to choose from!! [up] Might get some corner markers from Mercedees, ( got a hook up ) [up]

5. New brighter headlamps, dunno why, I just want em. Again, too many to choose from :D

6. Handelbars, I want a more aggressive ride angle, money permitting.

7. Rail spacers, because I want my ass in the air!!! Again the money thing permitting [cool]

8. Last but not least, A piss load of Carbon Fiber. BuellXB, be ready to smile. Damn,...I need more money.

BuellPastor
07-30-2007, 02:52 AM
MrD. Did you do it all? Show pics please.

mrdozer2you
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Gonna do them time permitting, probably over the winter. All that i've done so far is; Jardine RT-1 pipe, breather hose re-route, CRG bar end mirrors, removed the reflectors and decals, and modded the stock seat.