PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

XbRidr
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
My 07 Buell Xb12s has about 500 miles. I've been enjoying the bike to the fullest and I want to care for it properly. My buddy says change the oil between now and 600 miles. The dealership told me to wait till the 1,000 mile service. What should I do?

zombieBUELLer
07-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Different people will tell you different things.

I did mine at 500... stuck with the dino Harley Davidson oil.

At 1000 I did it again and switched to royal purple.

MPea3
07-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't think (within reason) you can change your oil too frequently when the bike is new. Changing the oil at 500 miles sure won't hurt anything. Changing it again won't either. If I were you I'd do it more by the appearance of the oil and how hard you ride than just the mileage. I'd also do it by time if you're going to have inactive periods.

Other than avoiding high piston speed, it's the cheapest and easiest way to promote the longevity of any engine.

XbRidr
07-16-2007, 05:10 AM
thanks for the info. Is there a specific kind of oil thats recomended? What kind of oil does the dealer used at the 1,000 mile service? Should I use the same oil as the dealer? I appreciate the help im just learning.

BuellPartsGuy
07-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Dealers use just Harley 20w/50 and sometimes Harley Syn3 20w/50. They use Harley Formula plus in the transmission and primary. Thats all I have ever seen dealers use unless the customer requested something different.

buellxb
07-16-2007, 07:05 AM
I would say it depends on how you ride. I usually cruise just under 3k RPM. If you're always revving your motorcycle and keeping it in the high RPM range then you probably need to change it every 600 miles.

I use HD synthetic, and I'm only planning on changing the oil every 1000 miles. I do check the oil often to make sure it's never low.

BuellPastor
07-19-2007, 02:08 AM
BPG - It really is informative having you on this site. I was thinking about using the HD synth. I had not, until now even thought of changing my own oil. Is it difficult or unusual on a Buell? Can one buy a good service manual? Any advice?
Thanks again!

BuellPartsGuy
07-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Changing you own oil is nothing to be scared of. If you are at all mechanically inclined, its a breeze. The best service manual you can buy is straight from the dealer. It will show you just about everything on that bike and how to do it. They run $58.00 plus tax at your local dealer. My advise would be to pick up a service manual, read up on it and many other things and see if it is something you would want to tackle with your abilities. Then go from there.

And thanks, I try my best to give all you guys the best and most accurate info I can.

BuellPastor
07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Ordered my manual today. It was $55.85 - they give me a 15% discount for life. Really cool! BTW - have I said how much I love this bike? Why didn't I buy one earlier?

mnbuellman
07-31-2007, 03:50 AM
I got manuel of of ebay. I think I payed $45 SHIPPED.