PDA

View Full Version : engine cuts out at 55

ghoward
08-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Riding at or around 55 to 60 the motor cuts in and out like someone is flipping the kill switch off and on. One other thing is my exhaust tip color (inside the pipe) is light gray to close to white for me thanks greg. 03 Firebolt 9000 miles

LeFox
08-21-2009, 08:51 AM
- got some more info on the setup you are running (mods?)
- has this been going on just now, after a certain mod, etc?
- last service?
- last tps reset?

ghoward
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I bought the bike used with factory race ECM and exhaust system installed by HD. Owned the bike for 3 years now serviced at the start of summer and in fall its about due. This started about a month ago so I changed the o2 sensor and spark plugs thought that did it but started doing it about 100 miles after that, even after I changed them the bike still felt like it was surging at speed. Other thing noticed is holding the throttle steady above any idle position the RPM is fluctuating by 2 to 3 hundred RPM's up and down maybe even more. TPS? Thanks greg.

Stevenc150
08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
TPS?Definitely a good place to start.

hula Buell
08-30-2009, 08:11 AM
So what happened? Did you ever figure it out?

ghoward
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Working on it got my ECM spy Saturday reset the TPS going to meet the club for coffee Sunday @ KICKSTART CAFE and go for a ride after. ECM spy is a cool little tool if you don't have one get one worth it.

ghoward
09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Update resetting the TPS did not work still the same thing ordered a TPS from Harley D.@ $100 bucks 7 to 10 days I is told. [smirk] be back then. greg

liqrnpoker
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Mine was doing the same thing at 5000 rpm. Does it backfire also? The problem with mine is the cam position sensor. At the Harley dealer it's not called that but a timing something sensor.

ghoward
09-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Nope no back fire no codes nota just riding along at any (now) speed it cuts in and out got to be on or off throttle you hold the throttle still for a few sec. it starts its off on deal. other than that it runs strong as crap good power no popping on decell or missing she just bucks like LLLL if you hold it steady. you wouldn't belive what riding this thing is like.... and its random. SHORT ??[confused]

Stevenc150
09-05-2009, 02:54 AM
It sounds so random, you may have an ECM wire shorting against the frame somewhere or bad battery connection. Can't hurt to pull off the seat & plastics if you have to and check. If nothing, might try checking or even changing you're spark plug wires for new ones, the crimped end that goes over the plug may be wallowed out and loose on a plug. - Just throwing stuff out there, hope you find it.

ghoward
09-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Thanks I can use all the feed back I can get and yes pull the plastics off last weekend and checked all of it front mid rear and replaced wires plugs LLLL even the oil good news is its getting worse so I must be on the right track. RIGHT ? greg

Stevenc150
09-06-2009, 03:10 AM
A very slim chance, but the ECM itself could be screwed. It'd be nice to have a spare ECM to throw in there and see how the bike acts.

ghoward
09-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Installed TPS reset it test drove no changes with throttle on off as long as your giving it more gas its fine hold it steady and it just cuts in and out. Remapped fuel maps to go richer in all areas went for a test ride same thing but the exhaust tips are at lease turning darker. Good thing! Road better too not as much bucking going on now. I will ride it this way and see if it comes around. Change for the better I think [smirk]

ghoward
09-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I have been riding it the last few days it dose seem to be getting better each time I ride. And the exhaust tips are getting darker yep doing the old happy dance right now[cool]