PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing a Light? Or is it a short?

sivartjs
08-21-2009, 05:32 AM
[confused]

Ok so I recently did the dual headlight mod but for some reason now shes kinda jittery to start up. Ill put the key in and the gauges will sweep and the bike will make the usual start-up noise when i switch her to live but then i hit the ignition and she goes dark.

I take the key out and repeat the process and now the thing doesn't even do the normal start up routine. Try the on off sequence a couple of times and then she will come to life and start like normal?

Do I have a bad ground or something? I noticed when I did the dual headlight mod it looked like their was a spot for a third really little light bulb in between the two main ones but mine just has an empty spot. Could this be whats causing my bike to malfunction? Does it even need that light in their and if it does what kinda bulb do I need to get?

Anyways thanks for any help you guys can lend me I know these things have personality but this is kinda weird I just want to be able to count on her starting up and not have to deal with fiddling with everything to get her to go.

LeFox
08-21-2009, 08:48 AM
no, the spot for the small bulb is a standard for euro bikes and used for parking light.

u.s. models have the spot but not the bulb.

you probably have a powerdrain somewhere or a bad connection...

Stevenc150
08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Have you checked battery connections and had it tested under load?

sivartjs
08-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Could the power drain be caused by the dual headlight mod? I did notice this the other night and that is while im driving with both headlights on they cycle through brightness levels. Like outta nowhere the lights will dim and im not sure if light cuts out or if it just dims and then a second latter it gets bright again. It keeps going through this cycle as I drive?

How do I test the batter under a load?

07Bolt
08-29-2009, 01:49 AM
You got a bad connection. The vibration is shaking something loose. Thats what is draining ur battery too.

Stevenc150
08-29-2009, 02:58 AM
How do I test the batter under a load? Any auto parts store will do it for free if you take the battery to them.

RT Performance
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
battery terminal and or battery.

fahren
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
+1 on battery or terminals. Especially since the problem appeared when you did nothing else (I presume) than add another headlight bulb load to the bike. Try also charging the battery, then removing the headlight fuse before you start the bike. The decreased load at startup might make a difference, but if it does, then your battery is probably too weak to defend itself.

sivartjs
09-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Ok im workin on your ideas guys thanks, I did notice that when the seat is off all i have to do is push down on the positive terminal and the bike powers up just fine. im taking apart the wiring on the dual head light mod since last night i noticed sparks of light in the connection which doesn't sit well with me

Just to be clear I dont need that other bulb in their right?

Stevenc150
09-06-2009, 03:45 AM
Just to be clear I dont need that other bulb in their right? Nope. It's just optional, you can find the correct bulb at any auto parts store (can't remember the exact #) if you wanted it in there.