PDA

View Full Version : Primary Case Cover Question

1SexyBuell
08-26-2009, 01:51 PM
hello everyone. I was wondering if any of you have Painted your primary case cover. if so, how difficult of a task is it? also does anyone know of a place online that sells black primary case covers... thats the color I was shooting for. any advice is appreciated thanks [up]

Buellysses
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I had purchased a primary for an 06 xb9 for my Uly. It was the black rubber-coated one. I had intended on painting it flat black, but ended up stripping it and re-coating it with truck bed liner.

The stock rubber coating was an absolute pain in the ass to remove. It took me probably 8 hours and 2 cans of aircraft paint remover to get the stock coating off. By the time I was done the cover was too marred up from the putty knife to even consider painting it. Maybe a heat gun would have been more effective, or a sand blaster...

If you have the stock magnesium colored one it should be a piece of cake, just clean, scuff, paint.

1SexyBuell
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
yea I do have the stock magnesium cover. Im not much of a motor head. I have however changed my own oil on my bike and also changed the transmission fluid on it. is removing the primary case cover difficult? I was looking at it today and cant really take if it going to be a lot of work.

Buellysses
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
It's pretty easy.

First, drain the fluid. Then pull the shift knuckle off the shifter shaft. (I don't think its actually called a knuckle, but that's the best I could come up with.) Back the primary chain adjuster all the way out. Then pull all the hex-cap screws out of the perimeter of the cover. You may have to give it a couple love taps with a rubber mallet to break it free. Should be about a 30 minute job.

1SexyBuell
08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
alright thanks a lot, I think I will give it a try when I have some free time [up]

Stevenc150
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Would an '03 Parts Manual help any? Post email if it will:

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090728070433_L.jpg

1SexyBuell
08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
you know what. I forgot that I have a manual for my bike. but I also have another question. Im guessing that I would have to replace my gasket liner (part number 5 on the picture) everytime I take it off right?

Buellysses
08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Technically you are supposed to. However, I've pulled mine a few times and re-used it without a problem.

dave_xb12r
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
It took a few time for me to tension the clutch right inside the cover. Then the cover leaked all the time until I used gasket sealer.