PDA

View Full Version : Running a rough, feels like im always going over bumps

TheyCallMe
08-27-2009, 01:50 AM
So i just bought an 07 Xb12Ss (now has about 1,200) miles on it).. im not sure if its been serviced. The guy i bought it from got it from the dealer with 300 miles on, i got it from him with 600... anyway... The bike has been running rough (it almost feels like im forever going over bumps in the road because of how jerky it rides.. I did the breather reroute which seems to have helped with the bike when i first start it (used to want to die when i first started it up)... i will soon take it in to be serviced just to see if they find anything but in the meantime im wondering if anyone would have any suggestions. When the bike is running.. does the fuel pump usualy change pitches? mine seems to, it goes to a lower pitch for only a little bit, seems like pump is working harder. Also, i keep the battery on a tender and it ALWAYS seems to take a charge. Is this normal? I know the fan works for a long time and probably sucks some battery but i wouldnt imagine it would take such a charge every time i hook it up.. any help would be appreicated, thanks guys.. im glad to have found buellxb!

strmvt
08-27-2009, 02:01 AM
would check into a tps reset to start check the plugs/wires are connected tightly

Trill
08-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Check the plugs, plug wires, and battery terminals

or if your lucky like me check this area
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/surfstylez/ecmshort.jpg

fahren
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
tps reset would be key. Also def. check the plugs, wires and battery and main ground connections for tightness. If all checks out, could be the PO ran down the battery and weakened it prematurely (over winter, or left key on by accident, etc). If you know anything about the PO and the bike's history, that would help. But meanwhile, with a new-2-U bike, giving it a good once-over is a good idea for your own safety and happy riding.

samiam901
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
my fuel pump changes pitches sometimes, dont know if its normal but ur not alone. and i would have to say maybe a tps reset is in order.

TheyCallMe
08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies guys... i did give a quick once over previously and battery connections seemed to check out. To answer the PO question, when i got it, the battery was very low and after i left the headlight on for maybe 5 minutes the bike would not start.. but auto zone says the battery checks out (not sure how i feel about that diagnostic).
Anway, i will take her in for a service and have new plugs put in and a tps reset done... maybe i should also look into getting a new battery.

pinball242
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
i think i know exactly what you mean. the constantly going over bumps description is a good one. but it comes and goes. its really smooth on hard acceleration and at about 4000 rpm it gets really smooth, but most noticeable when im cruising. it comes and goes almost rhythmically while i maintain throttle and speed above 4000 and its roughest around and below 3500. i can only think its either engine balance or internal, or wheel/tire balance.

TheyCallMe
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, that's exactly it.. on throttle its smooth and higher rpms. Highway riding feels smooth either because im in a higher gear which hiccups dont effect so much or just the rpms... i dont know. Either way, i can figure it out.. its annoying. Im going to redo fuel maps this summer and see if that helps at all.

pinball242
05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
yep. i just performed the tps reset and its all smoothed out. feels like a different bike no kidding. like everybody already said above, tps reset is the key

TheyCallMe
05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
hmm.. ok, i've had it into the dealer and they have at least said they've done it.. but they could be full of it!