PDA

View Full Version : Noob Check Engine Light Question and Possible Problem?

Regular Guy
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
First, the noob check engine light question. Does it need to be on in order for ecmspy (Or in my case, the dealership) to detect the trouble code/problem? or does it log the error someplace that someone will still be able to find later even if the light goes back off again?

I know in my car, I've always been told "we can't find the problem unless the light is on when it gets here/always on when it's running"

Second part is the possible issue. Was riding today and my check-engine light came on randomly...stayed on for 5 mins, then turned off again. It did this a couple of times today. Stayed on for 5, maybe 10 mins. It always shuts off when I turn the bike off/turn it back on again. Ran the bike through all of the gears etc. and can't identify anything unusual in the way it sounds or feels. I'm guessing it's a short somewhere but can't seem to find anything obvious. Any suggestions would be Le'awesome. [confused]

Edit: 2009 XB9CitX with 2.5k miles

Stevenc150
08-28-2009, 03:13 AM
ECMSpy will show present and past CE codes, to a certain point, even if the light isn't on.

Buellysses
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Regular;

Just pull the codes using ECM spy, as stevenc suggested it will pull historical codes as well as current ones.

There is a way to do it without a data cable, you should be able to find the procedure in the service manual. Sorry, I'm at "work" and can't look right now. ;)

Stevenc150
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Here's how to check without ECMSpy: Checking CE codes w/o ECMSpy (http://bcrider.com/DDFI.html)

Regular Guy
08-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll try it as soon as i get the chance!