PDA

View Full Version : Oil pooled in airbox

redneck301
08-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I noticed a small leak on my frame and pulled my airbox cover to see what I could find. There I found oil pooled up inside the airbox and slowly seeping out. I cleaned all the oil out and ran the bike with the cover off to see if there was oil pouring out anywhere. I didnt see any oil spray at all. I laid my bike down before I noticed the leak and I'm guessing that while the bike was on its side the oil drained into the airbox but just want to see if anybody else had seen this before. Thanks for any help.

Stevenc150
08-28-2009, 04:16 AM
I take it the breather mod hasn't been done on your bike. Without this mod, it's possible for oil gases/spray to enter into your airbox through the OEM routing of the breather hoses. This mod will fix that: Crankcase Breather hose re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics)

redneck301
08-29-2009, 02:16 AM
This was about 7oz of oil not just some spray. I'm new to bikes but I've been a mechanic for years and if this was caused by breather blow back then these bikes are straight junk. Since I don't believe my Buell is junk there must be another reason. Now that I know the breather is in the air box I'm 99% it just drained in there when I dumped the bike though. I could see where the breather is spraying my airbox cover and do need to do that mod. Thanks

RT Performance
08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
probaly little spray but if the bike was on it's side it could have easly ran in there from the breather box

hula Buell
08-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Please don't dis the Buell.When you laid it down it's very possible oil in the breather hose did the gravity thing.Try to keep it vertical except on those peg scraping turns.:D