PDA

View Full Version : Kickstand recall coverage?

strmvt
09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
OK guys I went out and played a good bit yesterday had no issues came home and went to park her and she about fell over on the left side. I'm just glad that old fridge was out there lol helped me keep her off the ground. I'm like WTF so I say ok maybe I didn't have it all the way down. try again make sure the stand is down and lean it over and it leans way over this ain't right so lean it up against the fridge get the rear stand put it up on the stand and look at the kickstand and I was expecting the worst bolts broken. They are loose about 1/4in WTF!! One is bent so I can't reuse that one and to top if off I can't get to em b/c of the muffler lol SO... the dealer has the bolts got to get red locktite and new sealer for the muffler <micron> and I should be good to go. Question is I know there has been a recall on kickstands what model years does it cover mine is an 07 12r

Short video
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/strmvt/?action=view&current=SSPX0084.flv

yorkshirelad
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I have an 05 XB12s and the other week my pivot bolt sheared on my sidestand. I too had seen on a forum that this was a recall problem. When I asked at my local dealer they checked my VIN no. and said it was not covered on recall. Apparently it was only early Ulys. Your problem is different to mine so I dont know if it will be covered. Call your dealer and ask them to check for any recalls against your VIN no. or go to Harley Davidson website where there is the facility to do this yourself.

strmvt
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
UPDATE No recalls are called for on my VIN so no luck there damn bolts cost me 10$ anyways up and running again hardest part was taking off the micron muffler lol

yorkshirelad
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Cheaper than my problem, it cost me £66 for a new stand as they no longer sell the bolt only.

hula Buell
09-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Great video.Thanks, because were checking kickstands to make sure it's tight.Never would of thought of this one...

racepro716
09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Ya, my 08 firebolt kickstand nearly fell off. The bolts came loose and the muffler saved them from falling out. I keep a REAL close eye on how far the bike leans over now. It will give you a bit of warning that way. I'll be drilling and saftey wiring the bolts next time the lower fairing is off. Seems like bull**** to me, I thought I was done with saftey wire when I quit riding 2 stroke GP bikes. Wayne

strmvt
09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I bathed the new bolts in red loctite even tho they had some sort of thread locking compound on them when I got them. I had no issues all day riding the bike with excessive lean or anything. Just when I got home and went to park to open the garage door it wanted to fall over.

1stxb9r
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
you might want to try safety wire as well. Because your bolts are backing out, but did you let the locktite cure?

Jtbeast
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
mine fell off while riding, didnt know till i was on e and i pulled up at a gas station 30 miles from my house and.... no stand!! $115 for buell to rush deliver me a new one [mad]